PDA

View Full Version : Baja Fly Fisher spotted

Charlie S
03-10-2016, 10:34 PM
Just finished a meal with friends in Albany and in comes Jay with a friend. I was really happy to see him because I knew he would be adding some class information to our NW Fly Tying and Fly Fishing Expo tomorrow and Sunday. This is a Great show featuring some extraordinary talent for two days at a low cost. Plus classes, vendors, casting and kids events. I know it's a long ways but well worth the time and effort, especially since most of your fishing is currently blasted out.

Baja Fly Fisher
03-12-2016, 03:49 AM
Hey Charlie, I was really surprised to see you Thursday day night at the restaurant. I had no idea that you had moved from CA to Sunriver, OR. The lakes you mentioned that you have fish in the area are some that I fished back in the early 70's when we visited some friends who lived in Bend. East Lake and Paulina were two of my favorite lakes to fish. Back then I had thoughts about moving to Bend but employment and a distressed city of Bend kept me from moving. And maybe my wife also had a little to do with the decision. We looked at real estate along in the Mirror Pond area of Bend. A beautiful part of the city, with the Deschutes running through the backyard.
I attended the show last year, mainly because Trey Combs was here and I hadn't seen him in years. After some foul ups with my applications for the show, I really didn't want to attend the show. But some friends from Fresno were going so I came up with them. Boy a 9 hr. drive in the back seat of a truck - not for me. So this year, I got confirmation on my applications, made reservations with Alaska Air and flew from Fresno to Portland, meet up with my friend Peter Koga at the Portland airport and we drove to Albany which is a little over an hour.
The committee has done and excellent job in organizing this event. Yes there are a few bumps in the road but that's expected when a organization puts on something of this size. And for you to tell me that you are now the president of the IFFF Oregon Council was a shock but knowing you, I think you are the right person for the job.
Let you mentioned in your post, it's a long ways from California but I think the show could be well worth it for a lot of folks. There are lot's of vendors who are SELLING tying materials, something you don't see anymore at a lot of the big shows. Yes, like it was mentioned, the drive is long but if you're into trout or steelhead fishing, you could make it an extended trip and fish on your way up and on your way back to CA. Last day of the show today and I will be tying from noon to 2:30pm. I've generated a lot of interest in the wig hair flies.
So Charlie, I'l see you this morning and the show and hope we can talk more