PDA

View Full Version : What's The Best Adhesive??

Idadon
03-07-2016, 12:05 PM
I'm trying to put a rod holder on my Scadden Navigator. Would like to use the Scotty glue on patch to hold the base for a Scotty fly rod holder. Since no one at NFO wants to answer their phone I am reaching out to the Forum for help. What's the best glue for sticking on a patch? I certainly don't want to lose an outfit because of bad adhesive.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks

johnsquires
03-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Would it bankrupt those guys if they hired a receptionist?

JayDubP
03-07-2016, 05:48 PM
I'm trying to put a rod holder on my Scadden Navigator. Would like to use the Scotty glue on patch to hold the base for a Scotty fly rod holder. Since no one at NFO wants to answer their phone I am reaching out to the Forum for help. What's the best glue for sticking on a patch? I certainly don't want to lose an outfit because of bad adhesive.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks

At Pleasanton Fly Fishing Show, Dave Scadden told me he uses "Loctite Vinyl, Fabric & Plastic Flexible Adhesive" I have not tried it. He told me that when I said that NRS STABOND costs $24 a can and I only needed a little bit to glue on a rod holder.

See if you can get any of the Scotty recommended adhesives in smaller amounts.... and if you have a West Marine store in your area, go into the store and ask what they recommend.

It appears SCOTTY has a list of glue they recommend for their add ons:

http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/rod-holders/glue-onmount.htm

Many different glue products will work for adhering the No. 341 mount to your water craft. Poly Marine Glue, Stabond UK-148, HH-66 (RH Adhesives), and many more can be found at marine dealers such as, West Marine, Weaver Industries etc.

Idadon
03-07-2016, 06:45 PM
I've heard of the HH-66 but can't find any locally. The loctite stuff is available at Walmart but for some reason a tube of glue costing a few bucks at WM makes me kind of nervous. I think, since it's easy to get, I'll try the Loctite. Maybe tie a tether to the rod holder till I feel confident that all is well. Losing a Sage rod and Ross reel in 30 feet of water could ruin a guys day!

JayDubP
03-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Last night I remembered I have an extra Scotty pad and mount... so I may attach it to my new Watermaster which is to be delivered today.
So I went looking for adhesives online since I like to use what the manufacturer recommends.

PLUS before you glue it on, make sure the Scotty pad will not interfere with folding the boat (so it is not where you will crease the boat)

HH-66 is on Amazon- 4oz for $13.94 with free shipping.

link to amazon listing:
http://www.amazon.com/HH-66-PVC-Vinyl-Cement-Brush/dp/B005LL2XBM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457455629&sr=8-1&keywords=hh+66

Idadon
03-08-2016, 11:38 AM
I found it on Amazon also. Really tempted to buy some HH-66 but since Scadden said Loctite was what he used I went to Home Depot and bought a tube of the loctite for $2.97. Might regret using it but my lake is thawed off around the edges so it's time to go fishing NOW!

Cutthroat
03-08-2016, 09:05 PM
I have used that Loctite Vinyl, Fabric & Plastic Flexible Adhesive to attach a Scotty rod holder and a Triple Rod Holder to my Scadden Renegade. It works great. I have no regrets.

JayDubP
03-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Idahon: bring us up to date sometime, did the Loctite work?

I found it on Amazon also. Really tempted to buy some HH-66 but since Scadden said Loctite was what he used I went to Home Depot and bought a tube of the loctite for $2.97. Might regret using it but my lake is thawed off around the edges so it's time to go fishing NOW!

Idadon
03-17-2016, 12:22 PM
I glued two pads on, one on each side. After giving them 2 days to dry I gave them a good "Tug" test and they seem to be stuck down solid. Since then it's snowed every day and been really windy. I'm pretty anxious to give this rig a try but 35 degrees, 30 mph wind and snow showers is keeping me at home. As far as the Loctite vs. other, more expensive adhesive, I think the Loctite is going to work fine.

JayDubP
03-18-2016, 09:59 AM
"35 degrees, 30 mph wind and snow showers" - thought that was T Shirt weather in IF.

Glad the Loctite worked so others will know there is an inexpensive alternative for some inflatables.

Idadon
03-18-2016, 10:37 AM
You know your Idaho weather I see. Back in my younger days I used to fish all year long but not anymore. Funny thing is if the wind isn't blowing and the sun is shining 35 is pretty comfy. It's this damned wind that gets a person!