PDA

View Full Version : Just When Things Started Looking Good

Tony Buzolich
03-06-2016, 11:51 AM
For the last couple of weeks a few stripers have been showing up here and the rivers were starting to look really good,,,,, but not now.

Take a look at some of the water flows on the Yuba, Feather, and Sac. The Yuba went from 800cfs on Friday to 21000 this morning. That in turn blew out the Feather below Yuba City and Marysville. The Sac is doing the same.

So, with all this nice fresh water it will definitely trigger a fresh migration of fish upstream which is great for us up here, but, it may take a few weeks to clear and become fishable again.

We definitely need the rain. Tony

Darian
03-06-2016, 04:19 PM
Tony,.... Just finished talking to a man who fishes from the mouth of the Yuba up to the Live Oak launch ramp, regularly. He says he caught/released a 28" Striper up there just before the latest round of rain began. H mentioned that he's seen a couple of pods of large Stripers in that area, too. :D

Tony Buzolich
03-06-2016, 05:26 PM
That was BEFORE yesterday's rain. It's all blown out now.

Carl Blackledge
03-06-2016, 06:53 PM
For the last couple of weeks a few stripers have been showing up here and the rivers were starting to look really good,,,,, but not now.

Take a look at some of the water flows on the Yuba, Feather, and Sac. The Yuba went from 800cfs on Friday to 21000 this morning. That in turn blew out the Feather below Yuba City and Marysville. The Sac is doing the same.

So, with all this nice fresh water it will definitely trigger a fresh migration of fish upstream which is great for us up here, but, it may take a few weeks to clear and become fishable again.

We definitely need the rain. Tony

Tony,

Do you ever get the opportunity to fish for Stripers on top up your way?

I could send you a few of my Articulated 2/0 Crease flies in Olive.

Carl

Tony Buzolich
03-06-2016, 10:01 PM
Thanks Carl. With the low water conditions we've been having I've had to try different things in some areas that are normally deeper water. The last couple of trips I've taken fish in only 1' or 2' of water as they wait for smolt to drift over a gravel bar before going into deeper water. I haven't tried topwater here but it would probably work well.

Later when shad season gets going I do combo shad/striper trips in the afternoon. Fish shad till dark and then work back with topwater for stripers at night.
Tony

Mark V
03-14-2016, 05:16 PM
I heard the Sac river has overflown some, pouring into the flood buffer zones under the I80 causeway.
Gonna be awhile..

Is anyone fishing the delta now, or is it way too stirred up?

M

P.S. Found this article linked on Maury Hatch's FB page,
http://ww2.kqed.org/science/2016/02/29/california-reservoirs-are-dumping-water-in-a-drought-but-science-could-change-that/

Darian
03-14-2016, 10:35 PM
Mark,.... Check out Maury Hatch's Facebook page or his website for some recent photo's of Stripers caught. He's been finding some relatively clean water:

www.firsthatchguideservice.com