PDA

View Full Version : I know your getting sick of hearing about the Triple Density Scandi's But......

Nate Bailey
03-05-2016, 07:33 PM
They are that good! I have tried a ton of different combo's over the years, looking for a good alternative to Skagits. There are times when only a Skagit will get the job done, but not as many now that we have some well thought out sinking scandi's. I loved the efficiency of the scandi's (single speys, and snake rolls) as its imperative to keep your fly in the water for steelhead--especially winters, but I never felt I was getting down ...that is until now...If you want to see what I'm talking about I have posted a video to my blog featuring the triple density scandis from LTS. check it out here http://www.southernoregonflyfishing.blogspot.com/2016/03/just-in-time-for-rogue-winter-steelhead.html

Rick J
03-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Nate - these sound most interesting to me for summer applications - the two slower sink versions but I am typically using very light rods in summer - Anglers Roost 12' 2/3 wt and Anderson 1204 - any chance you can get LTS to make lower grain weight lines?

I do see they advertise single hand versions - have you tried these? This might work on the light speys

Best,
Rick

Nate Bailey
03-06-2016, 03:57 PM
Nate - these sound most interesting to me for summer applications - the two slower sink versions but I am typically using very light rods in summer - Anglers Roost 12' 2/3 wt and Anderson 1204 - any chance you can get LTS to make lower grain weight lines?

I do see they advertise single hand versions - have you tried these? This might work on the light speys

Best,
Rick

Rick I am using the 6wt 3s on my 4126, it works great, and booms out there, but it is a tad longer than the speed lines. I swing damsels, and big streamers on the Williamson with it (which often kick my butt on the 4wt). I think its a bit long for anything under 12', but I have adjusted my stroke by lifting to form my d-loop for my switch rods, but you definitely have to lift to keep the D from collapsing with the shorter rods.

Rick J
03-06-2016, 07:03 PM
Nate - the 6 wt seems to be just over 300 grains which could work - Do you have the lengths for the 6 and the 7?

Thanks

Nate Bailey
03-06-2016, 10:57 PM
The single handers are just over 37'
they were designed for sea trout in norway, and overhead shooting but I use mine for a scandi.
they also work well for overhead two handed casting. hope that helps!

Rick J
03-07-2016, 12:32 AM
Thanks! The 6 F/H/I sounds perfect for the Klamath/Trinity and Grande Ronde - will need to track one down

Nate Bailey
03-07-2016, 07:29 AM
Rick, on your 4 wt spey? Its is. If your looking for a 6wt spey get the short speedline. I do think Kienes is carrying them. if not they can get them as they are a LTS dealer.

Rick J
03-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Nate - not sure I follow your last post re the short speedline for a 6 wt. Not sure which line you refer to?

Is there a taper profile for the single handers as not all tapers are conducive to spey casts though sounds like you like them well enough

Sounds like the single handers are all around 37+ feet and range from around 308 to 400 grains. Even with a 10.5' switch and 37' line you get a very manageable 3.5 ratio.

Regarding summer rods I am using - I have the Anglers Roost 12' 2/3 that I am throwing around 275 on but have thrown the 330 Rage and it handles it well; Anglers Roost 12' 3/4 that I typically throw a 300 grain Skagit and Anderson 12' 4 wt at 325. Seems the lightest of the single handers would function on any of these rods. I also have an old early 80s single hand converted 10' 7 wt Fisher with and extension and am throwing 350 to 375 grains where the 7 wt single line would fit well. My next step up is the original Sage 6126 custom made by Anderson and think the biggest of the single hand lines at 400 grains might be ok - typically using a 425 Skagit on that rod.

R

Gene S
03-07-2016, 06:34 PM
Nate - Any word on LTS coming out with a 'Short Speedline' which is both shorter and lighter in a triple density head for trout speys? Something in the 275 - 375 grn weight under 30' length. They would be in big demand IMO.

Nate Bailey
03-08-2016, 08:23 AM
Rick, Ill see if I can find one. I wanted to make sure we were on the same page as you mentioned the 6 FHI for the Klamath, as a bunch of guys are using 6 wt speys on that river, but as I see you were talking 6 wt single hander. I have the 6 weight single hander if you want to try it. I could send it to you.

SteelerHeeler, not yet, but Im working on them. As well as rods also. the sx line is a great small single hand spey line though. the only problem is that its a floater. I will keep you posted.

Rick J
03-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Nate - sent you a private message
Rick

Nate Bailey
03-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Nate - sent you a private message
Rick
Hmmmm, I didn't get it?

Rick J
03-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Nate - I was out all day - strange I hit send but I do not see it - tried again and said message sent

Gene S
04-16-2016, 02:11 PM
SteelerHeeler, not yet, but Im working on them. As well as rods also. the sx line is a great small single hand spey line though. the only problem is that its a floater. I will keep you posted.

Any word on lighter weight 3D lines? Thanks

Nate Bailey
04-17-2016, 10:24 PM
The ones I was talking about are still being finalized. I have used these with my light rods http://fishon-sports.com/lts-iii-s-single-hand-lines.html they aren't supposed to be spey tapers, but I spey cast them well with trout flies.

Terry Thomas
04-18-2016, 07:49 AM
The triple density concept is catching on with many of the companys now. Airflo has a new product and S.A. has been in the game for a couple years. I talked to the rep recently and he said lighter lines are in the plan. I have been using the S.A. lines for two years and like them. BTW, Nextcast also has triple d lines.

Nate Bailey
04-18-2016, 08:10 AM
The triple density concept is catching on with many of the companys now. Airflo has a new product and S.A. has been in the game for a couple years. I talked to the rep recently and he said lighter lines are in the plan. I have been us the S.A. lines for two years and like them. BTW, Nextcast also has triple d lines.

They swing so well! I have been triple d for over 3 years and nowadays I rarely swing a floater. I haven't fished to many other triple d's other than LTS and Airflo but I would imagine they would keep the straight line swing like the others.