PDA

View Full Version : Truckee Report

Jeff F
02-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Eric (EO) and I hit the T on Saturday. Started out around 9am. Weather was very nice and sunny in the morning, and most of the afternoon. Around 2pm, the wind really got nasty and blew us off the river. Fishing was tough though. Only one fish between the two of us, but it was a very nice brown. The rig I was using was a worm on top with a #20 midge dropper. The fish passed up the larger piece of "protein" and ate the midge instead. Fish was caught around 11:30am I reckon.

Bug-wise, there was a serious midge hatch coming off around 10am. Literally swarms of them right above the water surface. Didn't see any fish rising to them however. I didn't see any mayflies or skwalas all day. We did see a few stonefly shucks on some rocks though.

Didn't have a thermometer, but let's just say reviving that fish with bare hands was excruciatingly painful.

Another note......We've personally never seen so many people on the Truckee as on Saturday, even in the middle of June! It was a zoo. Luckily we got there early fished a stretch that takes a little effort to get to. But every access below the Boca inlet had at least 5-6 cars parked. Not complaining, but just stating a fact.

Anyway, won't be back until it warms up a bit, but all in all a very nice day on the water in the middle of winter.

~Jeff

SteelieD
02-29-2016, 10:31 PM
Nice fish.

Sheepdog8404
02-29-2016, 10:59 PM
Nice fish and report Jeff! It's too bad that the river was so packed. I ran into the same thing last Thursday on the Yuba. With only a few options to pick from right now, it makes sense that they're all filled to the brim with other fishermen. Can't wait till everything else opens in April so the herds will thin out a bit and move on to greener pastures.

EricO
03-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Ya, that was a nice day. With the higher flows, some nice runs and riffles.
So many midges coming off...I'm guessing size 24, but not a rise all day.

Alternated with a Hogan's S&M and a sz 18 midge dropper or a small stonefly
up top. Water was very cold, glad I fixed that hole in my neoprene boot!

Some very fishy runs, but guessing you gotta bump 'em right on the nose with
the water temps.

EO

cdevine
03-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Pretty fish Jeff. Thanks for sharing. Do a little hiking and trust me you will get away from the crowds. Amazing what a little bushwhacking can do.

Mother nature came in roaring with some pineapple action last 2 days. Looks like southern sierra really got hammered. Mammoth reporting 5 feet of snow. They need it because earlier storms were more northernly focused. I'm more bullish than some on the weather situation. By end of next week I think these storms will give the 8k+ peaks 4-5ft of new snow in greater tahoe basin and a lot of liquid precip in our reservoirs. Folsom is 110% of normal for this time of the year which sounds crazy I know.

Blow out city currently on the Big T. Looks like she is approaching 2000 CFS which would be the 2nd major flush in as many months. Good stuff. East Walker was raised to almost 100 cubes. Spring fishing is going to be really good this year and a few more storms and I think we will be protected into summer.

Have fun and be safe!

cdevine
03-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Wow... Pretty impressive rainfall totals in the valley/foothills and snow over the passes. Depending on where you live the resorts have seen 3-4 feet of the fresh stuff. Mammoth reporting more like 5-6 feet above 9k feet. Incredible what has happened to Shasta and Folsom over the past 2+ months. I know we have a long way to go but I'm confident we are going to have a good spring and summer now. More stuff on the way.

Here is a little guy from a local tailwater taken a week ago. A lot of gnat eaters out there11749