PDA

View Full Version : A couple local streams.

Flycaster
02-24-2016, 03:44 PM
Sugar Creek in Jessamine County,Kentucky.A great stream to wade in the summer for bluegill,Crappie and smallmouth bass.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h323/kyphotoguy/20027662066_9d3e3a9e9a_k_zpsae6znosx.jpg

Dix River in Lancaster Kentucky.Another great smallmouth stream.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h323/kyphotoguy/19865926190_cd4cdcb65a_k_zpsjhnr7t9j.jpg

Darian
02-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Good looking waters. Now I have an idea how murky the water is back there, I'd stick to flies that's darker in color and consider adding a small spinner or propellor to the fly to create some action.

John Sv
02-25-2016, 09:49 AM
This may be blasphemy to some, but a packet of shad darts would be money on bream, and may of the smallest size spoons are easily cast on a fly rod. Already have any of those? I cast a small dick nite, daredevil, and even the smallest kastmaster regularly with a fly rod.

Flycaster
02-25-2016, 11:51 AM
Good looking waters. Now I have an idea how murky the water is back there, I'd stick to flies that's darker in color and consider adding a small spinner or propellor to the fly to create some action.

When i fished it with spinning gear i would use dark or bright colored rooster tail bait's and do great.I would guess the spinner helped.The streams are clear most of the time.Just happened to take these pic's after a good rain spell.

Flycaster
02-25-2016, 11:57 AM
This may be blasphemy to some, but a packet of shad darts would be money on bream, and may of the smallest size spoons are easily cast on a fly rod. Already have any of those? I cast a small dick nite, daredevil, and even the smallest kastmaster regularly with a fly rod.

I do have both these.I used the darts under a float when crappie fishing but never have used them in these streams.I have used the kastmasters here with spinning gear and they were great.Also have some other tiny spoons that do well.Never would have thought of using them on a fly rod.

John Sv
02-25-2016, 12:20 PM
It is not for everyone, as I have been reminded a couple of times, but the benefit is that you don't have to reel all the way in before recasting.

Idadon
02-25-2016, 12:43 PM
Years ago, when I was a teenager, I used Super-Dupers for Crappie in Clear Lake. I ended up one day with one treble buried in my earlobe and one in my shirt collar. Tough to row a boat that way! My suggestion is to pull off the treble and put on a single hook. Maybe, just maybe, you might not hurt yourself.

Flycaster
02-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Years ago, when I was a teenager, I used Super-Dupers for Crappie in Clear Lake. I ended up one day with one treble buried in my earlobe and one in my shirt collar. Tough to row a boat that way! My suggestion is to pull off the treble and put on a single hook. Maybe, just maybe, you might not hurt yourself.

Ouch.Thanks for the tip.