PDA

View Full Version : Want to take my 4 year-old fishing. Well catching, not just fishing

John Sv
02-24-2016, 11:12 AM
Hi,
Last year in the fall my 4 y.o. got a big 'bow trolling behind our canoe, in our local res. This spring he seems to have the bug. Is this weekend too early to come down and expect reasonable luck/fastish action for bream/sunfish/whatever you call them, in Sac area ponds? Could fish flies, hardware or bait. Got a favorite pond in the Sac-Roseville area that you don't mind mentioning? We'll release what we catch. Thanks! Oh, P.S. we have a canoe that we can tote, or bank fishing is ok too.

corky569
02-24-2016, 01:02 PM
I'm in Reno, but I bet the ponds are coming alive. I know there is a list of local ponds on this forum somewhere.

John Sv
02-25-2016, 08:19 AM
Thanks! So you mean the Reno area ponds are coming in? I was thinking it is still trouty in reno
So is it too early for rancho seco or Mather sunfish? Anybody been over to these spots?

corky569
02-25-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm having some luck at my Reno bass pond, but it's real slow dead bugger fishing. No stripping at all. I was in Redding last weekend, and the fish seem cold and lethargic too. That had followed three days of rain and colder Temps too. I'm thinking Sacramento area should be good this weekend???

jrsyboy
02-25-2016, 02:33 PM
Go down to Lake Natoma and paddle across from the CSUS Aquatic Center under the bike trail. Take small plastics like 4" senkos and worms. Green pumpkin and watermelon. wacky rig them in the center with an octopus hook. tons of small bass. a few big ones too. You may see deer and other wildlife as well.

I also bet a sz. 14 Irresistible would catch a few bass and sunfish as well but I haven't tried this is 35 years. sunfish love irresistibles... and they float like corks.

if your are lucky and the weather is warm, you might even catch the bikini hatch as well. Just adds to the experience.

Tight lines~!

rob
jrsyboy