PDA

View Full Version : Mudsnails on the Feather and Yuba

Ralph
02-19-2016, 01:25 PM
Not entirely unexpected, but unwelcome none-the-less. Unless you can have gear dedicated to the Y, best you can do is wash, then dry or freeze. It would be nice to have a wash station at Sycamore.

https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2016/02/19/invasive-mudsnails-detected-in-yuba-river/

Mr T
02-19-2016, 01:45 PM
I recall reading in the past about using chemical treatments for equipment- is that no longer the best course of action?

I stopped fishing putah creek when they first showed up- and I do not look forward to possibly doing the same on these waters.

Ralph
02-19-2016, 01:51 PM
There are effective chemicals used in aqua culture but due to various regulations they are not available for general use.

Jake O
02-19-2016, 03:44 PM
I saw lots of snails under the rocks above Highway 20 last time I was out---too bad these guys don't appear to die as easily as "wanted" bugs during high water

SteelieD
02-19-2016, 04:27 PM
I've been out of the state for awhile (10 years) and, if I recall correctly, as I was leaving or around that time, the NZ snails were showing up in Putah Creek. I'm wondering how they've affected the trout health and populations during that span? Or in any other river for that matter? I guess what I'm getting at is what is the long term outlook once they've been discovered?

Ralph
02-19-2016, 04:52 PM
It really depends on the river. Montana's Paradise Valley spring creeks were decimated by NZMS. Incredibly bountiful mayfly hatches were replaced by scuds and midges. Then the snails largely disappeared and the mayflies have come back. Sections of the Snake have never recovered. Why . . . . ?

Him whop
02-21-2016, 07:33 PM
I recall reading in the past about using chemical treatments for equipment- is that no longer the best course of action?

Formula 409 applied undiluted for no less than 10 minutes is nearly 100% effective.
What this may do to your waders and boots is unclear.
How you could do this with every crevice of your boat/motor/etc is also unclear.
Problem really is that it only takes one person to begin a new infestation. I'd expect many more waters are already infested but the population isn't large enough yet to be detected.

Ralph
02-22-2016, 08:18 AM
That 409 was Industrial strength 409 with almost 4% benzethonium chloride (the active ingredient in aqua culture molluscicides). The 409 formulation has been changed several time, "industrial strength" discontinued since then, and the active ingredient in the house hold product diluted.