PDA

View Full Version : Aitutaki / Rarotonga ?

Tony Buzolich
02-19-2016, 06:47 AM
Having just gotten back from Christmas Is., I've got the urge to take off again to another warm saltwater destination.

This place looks like where I want to go. Rarotonga is also a hub for Air New Zealand and package deals there look to be quite affordable.

Has anyone fished this area? Or know of any guides available on this island.

Most of what I'm finding is referring to Aitutaki as being the bonefish location to go to via Rarotonga.

So what do I do? Plan an affordable package trip to Rarotonga and look for a guide, or layover in Rarotonga and keep going onto Aitutaki ?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated, Thanks, Tony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-19-2016, 09:36 AM
Ron Rabun

sushiluvr1@yahoo.com

Ron is very knowledgeable on the Cook Islands bonefishing.

TheAnglingReport
02-24-2016, 08:13 AM
Tony,

We just published a piece on an affordable fishing trip to Aittutaki that may help you decide. Here is the link: http://anglingreport.com/article/3414/

You can also read the full article here: http://anglingreport.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/January_2016_13.pdf

Two guides are highly recommended. 1) Butch Leone and 2) Itu Davey. Their contact information is included in the article.

Good luck! Curious to know what you end up booking.

Michael @ The Angling Report Newsletter

Tony Buzolich
02-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Michael,

Thank you. This is an excellent article with great information. Though I don't see myself spending the same amount of time here that Welch does (four weeks), this certainly shortens the learning curve and saves wasting time and money on expenses.

For a short trip it seems an all guided deal would be the best way to get the most out of the time allowed.

Thanks again,
Tony Buzolich

dynaflow
05-21-2016, 01:11 PM
Michael,

Thank you. This is an excellent article with great information. Though I don't see myself spending the same amount of time here that Welch does (four weeks), this certainly shortens the learning curve and saves wasting time and money on expenses.

For a short trip it seems an all guided deal would be the best way to get the most out of the time allowed.

Thanks again,
Tony Buzolich

Apologies for coming late to this thread and hope that your trip
was successful! Aitutaki has some of the biggest Bonefish on the planet but the only way to
fish the lagoon successfully is with someone like Iti Davey or Butch Leonie,and the difference between the two is that while Butch uses a simple Hobie hull,Itu uses a purpose built flats boat & poles you over the flats.This is where the trophy fish are.You can self guide of course but your catch rate will be limited,trust me.
Cheers

Tony Buzolich
05-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Dynaflow,

Thanks for the info. I've been reading everything I can about the place but haven't set a date.. I'd sure like to get a couple more guys together that would like to give it a try.

Other than the airfare from the states, the prices seem affordable.

I hate long plane rides though. Tony