PDA

View Full Version : Lower Stan Info

whatnext
02-12-2016, 08:44 PM
Looking to fish this weekend. Anybody have any up to date info on the condition of the Stan from Goodwin to 120? "Go to" flies for this stretch?

jbeni
02-29-2016, 12:55 PM
WhatNext,
Curious how the Stani looked if you went out there -- im going to hit the water tomorrow and its between the lower Stan or Yuba.... I have never fished this part of the Stani which is why I was thinking of heading out there...get some new scenery and explore a little.
Hope you had a good on the water!
Beni

whatnext
02-29-2016, 09:27 PM
Never made it out there to fish. I had scouted it up by Goodwin dam on Jan 3rd but didn't have my gear. Seemed pretty limited fishing by walking/wading but that's why I asked on the forum. I still plan to get up there on one of my next days off.

VinnySteel
03-01-2016, 02:00 PM
If your headed to the Goodwin dam stretch of Stan for the first time just be prepared for some combat wading. There's a "trail" you can take that puts you right at the bottom of the dam but it's very steep. Once you get to the water you are pretty much forced to wade in waist high water to maneuver up and down the stream. The banks of the river are lined with thick brush and trees. Be prepared for lots of roll casts! Be aware also that the flows change (sometimes drastically) with no warning. It's a deep canyon down below the damn so if your in there just pay attention to the water levels. If they look like they're getting higher get out. The further downstream you get the easier the wading is, but in my experience the stretch below the damn has the best holding in the whole River. Hope this helps, let me know how it goes if you make it out there.

FlyJack51
03-03-2016, 07:23 AM
I'll Def. agree that the Stan has some treterous wading, very limited access with lots of bush wacking. Also I must mention that the rattlesnakes in the canyon will keep you on your toes. IMO there are much better and closer rivers to fish, Yuba, or American is way better than this place. I haven't fished than Stan in About a yr
but the lack of fish caught, rattlesnakes, bush wacking through poison oak just makes this one of the last places I'll be fishing again. Hope this helps

EricO
03-03-2016, 09:28 AM
I fished it a number of years ago. The trail alongside the river going upstream
is a major bit*h. Tons of poison oak. Wading through massive boulders going
downstream was a challenge. Fishing was marginal when I went.

I wouldn't fish it again, but I live near Sac, so there are just too many other
places that are better in this area, or going farther to the north.

EO