PDA

View Full Version : Rod For Stripers

NCL
02-03-2016, 07:41 AM
For the past couple of years I have been thinking about trying to catch a striper. For various reasons it has never come togther, although last Spring the deal fell apart at the last minute. Well it looks like there may be another opportunity this spring. So the question, what is the minimum weight rod you would use for stripers? I have a 7 weight I use for steelhead. I have been thinking about an 8 weight single hand because there would be other used for that rod. Thoughts?

lee s.
02-03-2016, 10:10 AM
We often toss a 5wt. Generally the fish are sub-5# and only occasionally over 10#. Usually they are enticed by bugs sub-3", however, even a 4" bug can be tossed easily with your 7wt. The important change, normally, is to get proficient at tossing shooting heads.
.....lee s.

winxp_man
02-03-2016, 01:16 PM
I personally run a Sage Flight #8 and even a #1,2,3,4 will put a bit of a bend on it. But it can handle some big fish for sure.

Bryan Morgan
02-03-2016, 08:32 PM
I personally run a Sage Flight #8 and even a #1,2,3,4 will put a bit of a bend on it. But it can handle some big fish for sure.

Minimum would be an 8 wt. This will allow you to toss some hefty flies. With the upcoming flow this spring and summer you might to get acquainted with a #6 sink rate.

winxp_man
02-03-2016, 09:32 PM
+1 #6 sink rate with intermidiate running line is what I run. It's the outbound #6 sink rate and even with low flows you still fish the deeper buckets so it's not going to be a problem.