PDA

View Full Version : Delta LMB Setup Advice

whatnext
02-02-2016, 06:35 AM
I'm new to fly fishing and have always considered myself a trout fisherman but living in close proximity to the delta I could fish for bass any afternoon after work. Can I get by with my 6wt with floating and/or sink tip line and short, heavy leader or should I be looking at an 8wt? If I had one bass rig, what would be the best setup rod/line/leader to accomplish the widest variety of largemouth bass fishing?

Darian
02-02-2016, 10:18 AM
You could get away with a 6 weight rod for about half of fishing for LMB but for windy conditions, you'd be handicapping yourself (distance/accuracy). Also, flies used for LMB tend to be large, wind resistant and may soak up a lot of water. There're places in the Delta that are sheltered from the winds but, for the most part, the Delta is a wide open area. Fishing access from the bank is limited down there and you'd do well to either own or have access to a boat.

"what would be the best setup rod/line/leader to accomplish the widest variety of largemouth bass fishing?"

I usually cast/fish an 8 weight rod, floating or sinking-head line for LMB. The reel should have a drag/capacity for some backing as well as the line. If I'm casting a floating lure (Pole Dancer or Gurgler) for Stripers, I'll move up to a 9 weight rod as those flies are large/wind resistant. If you are not yet familiar with the double haul casting technique, have someone demonstrate and learn to do it for the Delta (not all casting will be short distance).

If you can afford it, a day with a Delta guide who offers his own rods/reels for your use will shorten up the learning curve. Have fun and good luck.... :cool:

whatnext
02-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Darian, Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about the fish and forgetting about the size of the flies.

Spicytuna1
02-02-2016, 11:00 AM
A 6 is not going to cut it and the reel doesn't need to have a a good drag system. You will rarely if ever end up on the reel unless it's a huge fish. Hence needing more backbone to a rod than a 6wt.

Being able to put the wood on them is vital to landing them, they can throw a hook like none other and some fish are pro at it. The more pressure you keep on them the better chance you land it.

As far as flies go there is a variety of flies that are effective and not extremely bulky small poppers, gurglers, and frog imitations. Lee Haskins does some magical work with flies that you can cast with ease.http://http://www.gurglersonline.com/

Depending on how you want to fish them ideally you would want a full floater with a fat taper, as well as an intermediate line. If you have to go full sink you can but I am not a fan of it.

I run 3 rods at all times a floater, an int, and a full sink. The floater gets 95% of the action as I have become a topwater junkie (and you will too).

I would say no less than an 8 wt and if you look hard enough you can find a good deal on one. TFO has some inexpensive models or you can track down a used 8wt. I would not spend a ton of $$ on a new rod etc... just find one that works for you, redington has some lower end reels that work great.

As far as leader is concerned I personally like using 2-3 feet of 40# mono tied to a small swivel (prevents line twist) then 2-3 ft of 15 or 20# test. These fish are not line or leader shy at all.

If you want a rod for LMB and Stripers then you need to beef up the reel.

Feel free to shoot me a PM with any other questions.

This is just what I have learned over the last few years and am curious to hear other people chime in.

whatnext
02-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Tuna, Thanks for the great info.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-02-2016, 06:57 PM
I am a big fan of the Captain Kevin Doran LMB system which can be a good place to start.

Before Kevin and others developed the Sage Bass rod series and special floating lines he used a Sage 9' #7 line XP 2 piece fly rod with a Rio 'Salt Water' WF8F, with an 18" butt section of 25# Maxima UltraGreen and 6' of 20# Maxima UltrGreen looped to the fly.

Now I think KD is using a Sage 7'11" 4 piece LMB fly rod with a matching Sage LMB line or a Rio FW WF8F OBS floating line.

KD, Andy Guibord, myself and others only use floating lines for LMB with large floating swimming hair bugs, but we only fish the warmer months.

Your 6 weight with a Rio FW WF6F OBS line would be good for the smaller bass flies.

Call or go into Kiene's American Fly Fishing Company on most weekends to see Andy who is a protege/big fan of the Kevin Doran. He really know how to fly fish the Delta for top water LMB in April through September.

Mr T
02-02-2016, 11:04 PM
A 6 is not going to cut it and the reel doesn't need to have a a good drag system. You will rarely if ever end up on the reel unless it's a huge fish. Hence needing more backbone to a rod than a 6wt.

Being able to put the wood on them is vital to landing them, they can throw a hook like none other and some fish are pro at it. The more pressure you keep on them the better chance you land it.

As far as flies go there is a variety of flies that are effective and not extremely bulky small poppers, gurglers, and frog imitations. Lee Haskins does some magical work with flies that you can cast with ease.http://http://www.gurglersonline.com/

Depending on how you want to fish them ideally you would want a full floater with a fat taper, as well as an intermediate line. If you have to go full sink you can but I am not a fan of it.

I run 3 rods at all times a floater, an int, and a full sink. The floater gets 95% of the action as I have become a topwater junkie (and you will too).

I would say no less than an 8 wt and if you look hard enough you can find a good deal on one. TFO has some inexpensive models or you can track down a used 8wt. I would not spend a ton of $$ on a new rod etc... just find one that works for you, redington has some lower end reels that work great.

As far as leader is concerned I personally like using 2-3 feet of 40# mono tied to a small swivel (prevents line twist) then 2-3 ft of 15 or 20# test. These fish are not line or leader shy at all.

This is just what I have learned over the last few years and am curious to hear other people chime in.

+1 to this

whatnext
02-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Thanks Bill. I have a casting lesson in Sac this weekend and planned to visit the shop.

BenFishin
02-04-2016, 04:52 PM

good advice from Spicy....just don't ignore wind knots like he does or you might be cussing like him too :-)

Spicytuna1
02-04-2016, 05:07 PM
Thanks for that sore reminder there buddy, I had at this time forgotten about it.

I will now cry for the next 3 days

BenFishin
02-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Thanks for that sore reminder there buddy, I had at this time forgotten about it.

I will now cry for the next 3 days

sorry brotha....lol

BTW, sign me up for your little shingding

Spicytuna1
02-04-2016, 10:38 PM
I needed another reminder for wind knots. Don't want to go through that again.

10-4 amigo looking forward to seeing you