PDA

View Full Version : High Flows!!

cyama
01-30-2016, 10:29 PM
Well the Yuba is blasted out. Skwalas have been washed down to Rio Vista. Yuba topped out at 20,000 CFS at Marysville gauge…. There is hope though. Other tailwaters are fishing well!!

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq198/cyama/IMG_2354_zpsaubua74b.jpg (http://s447.photobucket.com/user/cyama/media/IMG_2354_zpsaubua74b.jpg.html)

Sheepdog8404
01-30-2016, 10:45 PM
Beautiful fish! Streamer eater?

yubaman
01-31-2016, 11:50 AM
Interesting, I fished it on the 29th and as you can see, flows were fine. They must have scheduled some big release from Bullards Bar that night?

Ron B
01-31-2016, 01:25 PM
Yubaman

Unless I'm mistaken, Bullards only backs up the North Yuba flow. The Middle and South Yuba Rivers dump into the "lower Yuba" above Englebright and below Bullards. Both the middle and south fork flows are largely unregulated, as is Deer Creek. Englebright is a debris dam and, for the most part, passes on whatever flows it receives. Bullards is presently capturing as much run off as they can and trying to get back up to normal storage levels. Releases from Bullards this winter have been relatively inconsequential. Looks to me like the middle and south fork flows are largely responsible for the blowout Cyama noted.

cyama
01-31-2016, 01:41 PM
That is correct. At present Englebright is at capacity. 70,000 AF . Water from the Middle and South Fork is now passing over or through the Dam at Englebright. It seems like a major problem. This has occurred even during the past two drought years. Too much water for Englebright to handle. The Yuba Accord document explains a lot of the processes of where the Yuba water comes from and where it goes. http://www.ycwa.com/documents/622

Ron B
01-31-2016, 02:04 PM
Cyama

Englebright was never intended to be a major water storage dam. It was constructed primarily to hold back debris from upstream hydraulic mining and for many years has regularly spilled water when flows get high (just like Daguerre Point Dam). It does, however, allow a relatively small amount of water to be captured and used for downstream consumptive purposes. Bullards, on the other hand, was designed and built for flood control and as a more significant water storage facility.

Ron B
01-31-2016, 02:06 PM
Good lookin' fish, by the way!!! I'm envious!

cyama
01-31-2016, 07:58 PM
"Streamer eater?" Sheepdog fish was caught on a worm… When the flows come down on the Yuba the fish will be eating worms. Tie some up. Red first then go brown and tan.

I think this blast won't have much of a short term effect on the Yuba, but in about three to six months the fish will have less to eat. They will either stay and get skinny or move over to the Feather and eat those caddis.

I just wish YCWA could control the water so that it doesn't blast through and roll the rocks. If I were in charge I would raise the dam on Englebright and maybe put in a fish ladder.

John Sv
01-31-2016, 09:33 PM
I believe, according to stuff I read from syrcl, that englebright is already too tall for a fish ladder

PV_Premier
02-01-2016, 08:21 AM
I believe, according to stuff I read from syrcl, that englebright is already too tall for a fish ladder

Correct, the dam would need to be notched in order for a ladder to work

Rossflyguy
02-01-2016, 09:01 AM
That dam doesn't serve a major purpose. Just remove it. Let the salmon and steelhead run up further like they used to.

PV_Premier
02-01-2016, 02:08 PM
That dam doesn't serve a major purpose. Just remove it. Let the salmon and steelhead run up further like they used to.

as i understand it, removing it is a bit of an environmental concern. there is a lot of crap from mining that is piled up at the base of the dam, which we probably don't want to flow into the lower Yuba or down into the delta.

yubaman
02-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Man, and you'd have some pissed off people at Lake Wildwood, especially those who ponied up for those lakefront homes!!!!! I have heard there is some mercury held up in the sludge of Wildwood. This is very much like the Milltown Dam situation on the Clark Fork in Montana. The river had a bypass built around the dam, and the sludge was removed and then the dam taken down. For a few years, it was the largest Superfund cleanup in the US. The fishery has really improved in the 4-5 years since the dam has been removed.

I did note on Friday, that the 10k flows did nothing except push some smaller gravel around on what has been the dry exposed banks of the river. All of the larger cobble that is underwater was not even turned, still all dark and mossy on the top side. There were plenty of bugs under the larger underwater cobble. The 20k flows might have done a bit more now, but as of Friday, there was almost no flushing of even the builtup silty areas?

That must have been one hell of a rain on Friday night looking at the flowmeters. The jump in river flow was amazing.

Troutstalker55B
02-01-2016, 06:47 PM
I just have to say a truthful and accurate report on the waters I fish/guide is always available on my blog, as in this last report before the 15k surge; http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/2016/01/lower-yuba-river-fishing-report-1272016.html

The last big flow was caused by high snow levels up to 8,500 feet on top of snow during Friday night. With current temps much colder, the melt will slow down.

I'll be going down to the Lower Yuba on Wednesday to assess damage control. If anyone from the board needs more info on current conditions, or anything for that matter please email or PM me. - J.

cyama
02-01-2016, 07:59 PM
All of this discussion is very important as the Lower Yuba is under FERC re licensing this year!!! Also I think the Yuba Accord is up for a new decision. Is Cal Trout or NCCFFF aware of this!!! The Lower Yuba is one of my favorites. Where is Mikey Weir!! I am willing to donate time to make this place a better fishery. Anyone have some numbers of people to call???

SteelieD
02-01-2016, 09:40 PM
I'll be going down to the Lower Yuba on Wednesday to assess damage control. If anyone from the board needs more info on current conditions, or anything for that matter please email or PM me. - J.

Curious to know what you see up there On Wednesday Jon. Fishing amongst the hoards on the American just isn't the same!

lee s.
02-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Too tall for a fish ladder.......???
Balderdash!!!
How do they get salmonoids above Bonneville, John Day, and Mc Nary on the Columbia R and Ice Harbor and Monumental on the Snake R to name a few.
What do we have? Another political hack blowing smoke!
....lee s.

Troutstalker55B
02-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Damage control. Big changes. http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/2016/02/if-youve-been-hiding-under-rock-like.html - J.

SteelieD
02-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Great report. Thanks Jon.

Jake O
02-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Damage control. Big changes. http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/2016/02/if-youve-been-hiding-under-rock-like.html - J.

It will be a low skwalla production year would be my guess. Thanks for the report.

PV_Premier
02-05-2016, 06:43 PM
Just in from a quick visit to the Yuba. Some interesting changes have taken place. Visibility is bad, about 12-18" I'd say. Swung a black bugger in one of my favorite runs for about 90 minutes and not even one grab. Not particularly surprised. Saw a few mayflies and caddis but no stones.

Jake O
02-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Hit up the Y yesterday and saw more people than bugs. Fishing was very slow for me and those I chated with. Visibility was still poor. I was higher up river, perhaps the water is clearer down lower.

PV_Premier
02-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Visibility was still poor. I was higher up river, perhaps the water is clearer down lower.

it is, but it is not helping the bite.

the bugs took a beating in that recent wash. i think the fish are still adjusting to the 'new normal'.

Jake O
02-08-2016, 05:58 PM
it is, but it is not helping the bite.

the bugs took a beating in that recent wash. i think the fish are still adjusting to the 'new normal'.

I saw very few bugs when scouring the rocks. Other than a couple skwallas that jetted as soon as I turned the rock over all I saw were snails. I don't expect much in the realm of hatch activity until late spring but would love and hope to be proved wrong

cyama
02-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Just saw this on the Putah Creek Board. Apparently the state wants to truck salmon into the North Fork of the Yuba. I am not so sure this is best. Syrcl has a petition to remove Englebright and/or other options. Didn't read everything yet, but trucking fish obviously is not the best option. At least someone is trying to figure out what is best. http://yubariver.org/issues/yuba-salmon/take-action-for-yuba-salmon-write-governor-jerry-brown-now/