PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Lake rising much faster

STEELIES/26c3
01-30-2016, 04:22 AM
Nearly 39,000 CFS coming in to the lake now.

At this rate, I am sure DWR will be releasing 1000 if not 1500 in to the AR by next weekend.

Let's hope it continues to snow in the mountains and rain in the valleys.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-30-2016, 08:56 AM
Thank God we are getting some snow and rain.

SeanO
01-30-2016, 09:35 AM
They may be releasing 10,000 CFS if they have to release Folsom water.

Morgan
01-30-2016, 09:54 AM
Finally El nino is coming thru. But it is warm for sure.
YOu guys are seeing Folsom lake rise so much because it has been raining like cats and dogs up here in the mountains.
It didnt turn to snow until early this morning. The amount of rain we have been getting is crazy. Pretty sad, but better than nada.
THe snow has been melting like mad causing rivers all around to jump up in flows! The Truckee and East carsons both jumped up to over 2000cfs. A nice needed flush.

Lets hope it continues to stay wet. It would be nice if it stayed cold so the snow pack will stick around throughout the whole summer. Needed for us and our fishy friends.

I hope the American is ramped up as well so fuckers can quit sight fishing for em. Just not right IMO with the low flows we have had.

STEELIES/26c3
01-30-2016, 02:04 PM
I hope the American is ramped up as well so fuckers can quit sight fishing for em. Just not right IMO with the low flows we have had.

A-MENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Big water eliminates:

sight fishermen
tule dippers
flip and rippers
liners
snaggers
and those who wade out and stand on the spawning beds and hook the same fish over and over in various fins and other bodily parts

Fish the water, not the fish.

STEELIES/26c3
01-30-2016, 04:32 PM
Apparently 59% is the magic number for Folsom Lake capacity/retention this time of year. Once the lake is at 60%, water will be released to accommodate future, spring runoff. I'd say with one more night of rain in the foothills and the likely snow melt which will ensue most of next week, the odds are strong that the lake will reach 60% of capacity in a week or less.

Hopefully, DWR won't opt for a foolishly-high pulse flow followed by a drastic reduction back down to 800 cfs as they have been known to do in the past....

One day of 10,000cfs followed by a steady 1000-1500cfs flow would be optimal.

Time will tell...

Yuba rainbow
02-01-2016, 06:52 PM
A-MENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Big water eliminates:

sight fishermen
tule dippers
flip and rippers
liners
snaggers
and those who wade out and stand on the spawning beds and hook the same fish over and over in various fins and other bodily parts

Fish the water, not the fish.

I may be lacking in knowledge but I have never understood why everyone gets all upset at the people fishing them off of beds. I would understand if these weren't hatchery fish. I personally only fish the lower America maybe twice a year and only swing flies down lower in the river for fresh chrome . But still don't understand the outrage over some people fishing the beds for hatchery fish? Please inform me. Thanks.

PV_Premier
02-01-2016, 07:22 PM
They are not 100% hatchery fish for one.

Yuba rainbow
02-01-2016, 07:33 PM
They are not 100% hatchery fish for one.

Yeah but most are or are descends of hatchery fish that decided to spawn out side of the hatchery.

Morgan
02-01-2016, 08:27 PM
I may be lacking in knowledge but I have never understood why everyone gets all upset at the people fishing them off of beds. I would understand if these weren't hatchery fish. I personally only fish the lower America maybe twice a year and only swing flies down lower in the river for fresh chrome . But still don't understand the outrage over some people fishing the beds for hatchery fish? Please inform me. Thanks.

It shows no etiquette, no class, no common descency a lack of respect for nature and takes no skill.
Why not just pick up a spin rod with a spark plug and treble hook?

Yuba rainbow
02-01-2016, 08:36 PM
It shows no etiquette, no class, no common descency a lack of respect for nature and takes no skill.

Yes I completely agree with that. That's why I would never do it or bobber fish in general, it would be no fun. I get that I just don't get the anger/butthurt that people get at those people. It's lame fishing but why care if they do it?

Chukwithak
02-01-2016, 09:34 PM
So I've been checking the lake level like a crazy man. This morning i swear I saw 55%, now I see 54% but I'm sure the incoming has got to be more than 800cfs. Am I missing something?

cyama
02-01-2016, 10:01 PM

Honestly the problem lies with the CDFW regulations. They know there is a problem yet they fail to implement regulations that make it illegal to fish over or around spawning fish. It is imperative to change the regulations on the American and Putah Creek. You are actually allowed to use bait on the upper reaches of the American for spawning fish. I gave up on the American many years ago it is basically just a put and take fishery destined to die.

Yuba rainbow
02-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Honestly the problem lies with the CDFW regulations. They know there is a problem yet they fail to implement regulations that make it illegal to fish over or around spawning fish. It is imperative to change the regulations on the American and Putah Creek. You are actually allowed to use bait on the upper reaches of the American for spawning fish. I gave up on the American many years ago it is basically just a put and take fishery destined to die.

I guess that's why I never cared if people fished over spawning fish in the American because I too see it as a put and take fishery for hatchery fish. But putah is is a different story I would be angered at fishing spawning fish there and think they should close putah during the spawn.

STEELIES/26c3
02-01-2016, 10:17 PM
I realize that there really are no truly WILD steelhead in the AR.

That doesn't prevent me from respecting the fishery as a whole.

When I catch a fish (adipose clipped or not) if I intend to release it, I want it to survive... thus I don't take it out of the water. If it's trying to spawn, I don't fish for it. I don't use methods which allow me to catch the same fish multiple times such that I put undue stress on the fish and reduce its chances of survival and reproduction.

Whereas, we will never have a sustained population of naturally-spawning fish on the American River, the ones hatched in the river do tend to fight better than those raised in the hatchery thus I believe it's important that we anglers do all we can to promote that by not fishing the redds.

Finally, steelhead which get long-lined, flossed, or have a hook, line, sinker or fly hit them in the ass, fin, body... tend to get spooked and become reluctant to grab a legitimately-presented; fly, lure, bait.

Steelhead, whether wild or hatchery-raised, are magnificent creatures worthy of respect and good sportsmanship by those who pursue them.

STEELIES/26c3
02-01-2016, 10:23 PM
The incoming to the river has fluctuated between 820 and 846 cfs today.
The level of Folsom has only increased since November.
It's at 537214 currently.
Friday there should be a significant pulse flow in to the AR
Here's the last 12 hours:

02/01/2016 00:00

02/01/2016 01:00

02/01/2016 02:00

02/01/2016 03:00

02/01/2016 04:00

02/01/2016 05:00

02/01/2016 06:00

02/01/2016 07:00

02/01/2016 08:00

02/01/2016 09:00

02/01/2016 10:00

02/01/2016 11:00

Mark Kranhold
02-01-2016, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=STEELIES/26c3;163344)

Steelhead, whether wild or hatchery-raised, are magnificent creatures worthy of respect and good sportsmanship by those who pursue them.[/QUOTE]
Amen brother!!

Yuba rainbow
02-01-2016, 10:31 PM
Well said I respect that! They are definitely magnificent creatures. I understand, I don't think I will every truly care if they choose to fish lame, but get your point. Thanks!!

steel2theReel
02-01-2016, 10:32 PM

When I catch a fish (adipose clipped or not) if I intend to release it, I want it to survive... thus I don't take it out of the water. If it's trying to spawn, I don't fish for it. I don't use methods which allow me to catch the same fish multiple times such that I put undue stress on the fish and reduce its chances of survival and reproduction.

Whereas, we will never have a sustained population of naturally-spawning fish on the American River, the ones hatched in the river do tend to fight better than those raised in the hatchery thus I believe it's important that we anglers do all we can to promote that by not fishing the redds.

Finally, steelhead which get long-lined, flossed, or have a hook, line, sinker or fly hit them in the ass, fin, body... tend to get spooked and become reluctant to grab a legitimately-presented; fly, lure, bait.

Steelhead, whether wild or hatchery-raised, are magnificent creatures worthy of respect and good sportsmanship by those who pursue them.

Amen, brother!
A few days ago I actually saw a guy, supervising his 8 year old kid and holing a spinning rod, and THROWING COBBLES AT SPAWNING STEEIHEAD.
If YR doesn't mind THAT I give up. There are guidelines of decency that are subject to interpretation but really, showing your KID how to bonk one of God's miracles with a stone takes the taco.

Grant

Digger
02-02-2016, 12:01 AM
Each year We buy the privilege to fish within the established regulations in place.
Regulations are derived partly from science, politics, and human needs.
As anglers we each decide to what extent of the regulations we can/will abide by.

There are POV's supporting wild fish and all fish.
While at the Nimbus hatchery I spoke with a part time volunteer who said he'd only seen a couple wild fish this season.
I'd say that's sad. But realistically I doubt it's reversible in today's environment.
Even if regs were changed to enable wild fish, enforcement is a whole other issue.

Factory steelhead still have the lifecycle of growth, migration, return, and spawn just as the wild versions do.
Pretty incredible against all odds of the present day.
Where you stand is a personal decision of ethics, morals, beliefs.
I struggle with this myself, it's unfortunate we now have to create wildlife.

Idadon
02-02-2016, 07:00 AM
Interesting discussion, this "Spawning Fish" talk. Here's an opinion from Idaho. THEY ARE ALL SPAWNING FISH!!! They wouldn't be in the river if they weren't trying to spawn. The only exception is "Half-Pounders" and "Jacks" and maybe they think they get to spawn too. It's all a matter of degree. Fishing Redds is just wrong but on the practical side all of it of it, swinging, nymphing, lining or throwing bait is all fishing for spawners. Make your peace with the fact that even hooking a fish and fighting it is interfering with its spawning effort even if you respectfully release it.

Having said the above, am I going to stop chasing Steelhead? NO! It's a lot of fun. But I will say this; I'll stop fishing for Steelhead if everyone else does.

Morgan
02-02-2016, 07:21 AM

Well said bud!

winxp_man
02-02-2016, 09:10 AM
I'm not even fishing for steelhead anymore..... I'm fishing for the fish of 1000000000000 casts Hahahaha! Who said 1000 cast is a bit wrong hahaha!

Jeff F
02-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Aaaah, the steelhead board rears it's ugly head again. Shocker!

I usually stay out of these types of threads, but I gotta chime in on this one. The post about the fathers teaching their kids to "target" steelhead is what always brings me to the point of barfing. The perpetuating of this practice from father to son, generation to generation, is the hardest thing to swallow. I've seen it first hand on the American too many times to count. Yes, these are hatchery fish, but they're spawning IN THE RIVER. They're not in the raceways at the hatchery. These fish are making little steelhead for all of us to catch in the future.

On another note.......Let me ask you this......

When you're fishing the American, or any other river with hatchery fish (Trinity, Klamath, Feather, Yuba, etc, etc), does it piss you off when you hook a clipped fish? Do you toss it up on the bank like a squawfish or sucker? Does it really ruin your experience? When you're fighting that big hatchery disaster that has you into your backing, are you not stoked? Really? I doubt it......

Yes, the American is not the Mattole. But just think for a moment about the number of steelhead that would be in the river if people released ALL of them, clipped or not. We fish the American to catch steelhead. It's never going to be a wild steelhead river. But when people bitch and moan about the lack of fish in the river, you need to ask yourself, why am I out here on the river? Should I really be teaching my son to snag fish just so I can bring home a piece of meat to the wife and show her how macho I am? Or do I want my son to realize what awesome creatures these are, to respect them, and preserve them, and maybe he can go out next time and catch more? And his kids will have a chance to catch them?

Just think about how cool it is to have a nice sized steelhead on your line, clipped or not. It freaking rules!

Yuba rainbow
02-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Aaaah, the steelhead board rears it's ugly head again. Shocker!

I usually stay out of these types of threads, but I gotta chime in on this one. The post about the fathers teaching their kids to "target" steelhead is what always brings me to the point of barfing. The perpetuating of this practice from father to son, generation to generation, is the hardest thing to swallow. I've seen it first hand on the American too many times to count. Yes, these are hatchery fish, but they're spawning IN THE RIVER. They're not in the raceways at the hatchery. These fish are making little steelhead for all of us to catch in the future.

On another note.......Let me ask you this......

When you're fishing the American, or any other river with hatchery fish (Trinity, Klamath, Feather, Yuba, etc, etc), does it piss you off when you hook a clipped fish? Do you toss it up on the bank like a squawfish or sucker? Does it really ruin your experience? When you're fighting that big hatchery disaster that has you into your backing, are you not stoked? Really? I doubt it......

Yes, the American is not the Mattole. But just think for a moment about the number of steelhead that would be in the river if people released ALL of them, clipped or not. We fish the American to catch steelhead. It's never going to be a wild steelhead river. But when people bitch and moan about the lack of fish in the river, you need to ask yourself, why am I out here on the river? Should I really be teaching my son to snag fish just so I can bring home a piece of meat to the wife and show her how macho I am? Or do I want my son to realize what awesome creatures these are, to respect them, and preserve them, and maybe he can go out next time and catch more? And his kids will have a chance to catch them?

Just think about how cool it is to have a nice sized steelhead on your line, clipped or not. It freaking rules!

To answer your question no I don't get pissed off hooking up with a hatchery fish its fun but then again I also don't get pissed off hooking up with a sucker or squawfish it's all fun. But I do realize that squawfish and hatchery fish are not good for wild populations of steel head in general. Why toss a native squawfish on to the bank are they not cool enough? I just don't get the point of arguing over hatchery fish. That's why I probably won't even fish the American this year. The view points are so much different here than my home by the deschutes everyone there is all about taking hatchery fish out of the system if caught.

winxp_man
02-02-2016, 01:00 PM
To answer your question no I don't get pissed off hooking up with a hatchery fish its fun but then again I also don't get pissed off hooking up with a sucker or squawfish it's all fun. But I do realize that squawfish and hatchery fish are not good for wild populations of steel head in general. Why toss a native squawfish on to the bank are they not cool enough? I just don't get the point of arguing over hatchery fish. That's why I probably won't even fish the American this year. The view points are so much different here than my home by the deschutes everyone there is all about taking hatchery fish out of the system if caught.

I think there is a misunderstanding in this thread. I see what you are saying YR but the statement your making is better said towards rivers that are far better in shape to sustain big numbers of salmon and steelhead. The AR works in major part because of the hatchery. This river could not work on its own. Think about the facts! Its only 23 miles or so!!! And to add on top there is no tributaries where the salmon or steelhead could spawn. So in all this can the salmon, steelhead, stripers, shad, sucker fish, and squawfish all make it just fine in a river with only so much water especially with the recent drought years? So with that said US locals that can not fish a river thats well off compared to the AR would like to go out once in a while a get a fish on a fly. Not everyone can take a trip to the North Coast or in OR or WA. And its why some on here are of the idea that the river from sunrise up should be closed to fishing so the snagging, linning and so on could stop. So a stop to the unethical way of fishing could help a bit with the numbers of fish in this river.

The most recent one I have seen is a fly bobber guy got a buck about #8-10... Lands it about 15 minutes later. Then proceeds and takes it out of the water then looses grips with the fish and flops it on rocks a few times, and all this while is called over another fishermen to take a pic of the fish. Then goes over and drops it in the river without at least even checking to see if it could swim on its own. To me this is all due to education. Most of the people I speak to I tend to touch bases on the subject of landing and releasing a fish. EDUCATION IS THE KEY in my books to making for a better person or fisherman with ethics.

So all in all The lake sure is coming up with water! :) And recently got a #4-5 Chromie-Wan-Kenobi :)

EricO
02-02-2016, 02:06 PM
"Chromie-Wan-Kenobi"

Lol, I'm gonna borrow that.

EO

Troutsource
02-02-2016, 02:09 PM
A few days ago I actually saw a guy, supervising his 8 year old kid and holing a spinning rod, and THROWING COBBLES AT SPAWNING STEEIHEAD.
Grant

According to the great Jim Teeny, "You stone 'em, you own 'em." He throws rocks in the water (or at least he used to) to find the steelhead (by watching them move), and claims that they'll still hit a fly even after this occurs. I ran into him once on the Green. Here was this mutant just pulling in big rainbows hand over fist at the put-in. He was swinging one of his Teeny Nymphs in some shallow water and I couldn't believe how many fish he was hauling in. This was during a cicada hatch. The he introduced himself and gave us each a few of his flies (I think I read somewhere he tried to patent them). A consummate self-promoter. I tried them a few times on the A and actually had some success. Which gives me an idea...

Below is a picture of a Teeny Nymph.

Idadon
02-02-2016, 03:56 PM
Hey, those things catch fish. Tied with a bead and fished during a caddis hatch they can be deadly, at least on the Henry's Fork. Caught some Steelhead on the Gualala on one of these tied with green dyed pheasant tail. Really easy to tye too.

Yuba rainbow
02-02-2016, 04:15 PM
I think there is a misunderstanding in this thread. I see what you are saying YR but the statement your making is better said towards rivers that are far better in shape to sustain big numbers of salmon and steelhead. The AR works in major part because of the hatchery. This river could not work on its own. Think about the facts! Its only 23 miles or so!!! And to add on top there is no tributaries where the salmon or steelhead could spawn. So in all this can the salmon, steelhead, stripers, shad, sucker fish, and squawfish all make it just fine in a river with only so much water especially with the recent drought years? So with that said US locals that can not fish a river thats well off compared to the AR would like to go out once in a while a get a fish on a fly. Not everyone can take a trip to the North Coast or in OR or WA. And its why some on here are of the idea that the river from sunrise up should be closed to fishing so the snagging, linning and so on could stop. So a stop to the unethical way of fishing could help a bit with the numbers of fish in this river.

The most recent one I have seen is a fly bobber guy got a buck about #8-10... Lands it about 15 minutes later. Then proceeds and takes it out of the water then looses grips with the fish and flops it on rocks a few times, and all this while is called over another fishermen to take a pic of the fish. Then goes over and drops it in the river without at least even checking to see if it could swim on its own. To me this is all due to education. Most of the people I speak to I tend to touch bases on the subject of landing and releasing a fish. EDUCATION IS THE KEY in my books to making for a better person or fisherman with ethics.

So all in all The lake sure is coming up with water! :) And recently got a #4-5 Chromie-Wan-Kenobi :)

Yes it is a small system and I agree that's why they have the hatchery. But it still doesn't bother me having people keep fish. The hatchery puts out plenty of them into the river especially because of how small and drought ridden it is. There are plenty of fish for such a small system. And those hatchery fish don't just affect that system. My pal caught a big hatchery fish up on the yuba that he kept and it had tons of juvenile wild rainbows from the yuba.

Phil P
02-02-2016, 10:14 PM
I think someone that continually catches and releases fish is doing more harm than someone that hooks 1 or 2 fish and keeps one. I've seen guys hook fish after fish below the hatchery, releasing them all after a good fight. I think more of those fish are dying than some would like to admit. I think that keeping a fish here and there, especially when the hatchery is full of eggs, is the right thing to do. And if you don't want to keep a fish, stay off the river. Just my opinion, but here is some evidence to back up my point about released fish.

"The impact of mortality caused by catch-and-release practices is often underestimated by both anglers and fishery managers. From a review of 118 catch-and-release studies (Appendix 1), which, in total, involved over 120,000 fish, the average mortality associated with catch-and- release angling was 16.2%. Thus, while many anglers may assume that by practising catch-and- release they are having no impact on the fish population, a significant number of released fish may die. Additionally, many anglers will continue to fish after they have caught their limit under the premise that they will release all further fish caught, however they often do not take into consideration the number of fish which will inadvertently be killed as a result of this practice."

Casselman, S. J. 2005. Catch-and-release angling: a review with guidelines for proper fish handling practices. Fish & Wildlife Branch. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. Peterborough, Ontario. 26 p.

Morgan
02-03-2016, 08:30 AM
I think someone that continually catches and releases fish is doing more harm than someone that hooks 1 or 2 fish and keeps one. I've seen guys hook fish after fish below the hatchery, releasing them all after a good fight. I think more of those fish are dying than some would like to admit. I think that keeping a fish here and there, especially when the hatchery is full of eggs, is the right thing to do. And if you don't want to keep a fish, stay off the river. Just my opinion, but here is some evidence to back up my point about released fish.

"The impact of mortality caused by catch-and-release practices is often underestimated by both anglers and fishery managers. From a review of 118 catch-and-release studies (Appendix 1), which, in total, involved over 120,000 fish, the average mortality associated with catch-and- release angling was 16.2%. Thus, while many anglers may assume that by practising catch-and- release they are having no impact on the fish population, a significant number of released fish may die. Additionally, many anglers will continue to fish after they have caught their limit under the premise that they will release all further fish caught, however they often do not take into consideration the number of fish which will inadvertently be killed as a result of this practice."

Casselman, S. J. 2005. Catch-and-release angling: a review with guidelines for proper fish handling practices. Fish & Wildlife Branch. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. Peterborough, Ontario. 26 p.

If some of us kept a fish every time we went fishing we would no longer enjoy the taste of fish ;)
I would also get much fatter by sitting on the couch than going fishing.
I release just about all of my fish. But have no problem with one keeping a hatchery brat.
As long as we are not packing the freezer it shouldn't be an issue.
This year its the lack of water and the ease of catching fish in minuscule runs that have people fired up.
But its also the internet. There will always be arguments and fingers pointed.

Yuba rainbow
02-03-2016, 08:49 AM
If some of us kept a fish every time we went fishing we would no longer enjoy the taste of fish ;)
I would also get much fatter by sitting on the couch than going fishing.
I release just about all of my fish. But have no problem with one keeping a hatchery brat.
As long as we are not packing the freezer it shouldn't be an issue.
This year its the lack of water and the ease of catching fish in minuscule runs that have people fired up.
But its also the internet. There will always be arguments and fingers pointed.
Well said I fully agree with that.

Jake O
02-03-2016, 11:03 AM
This thread is funny. Opened it up and expected to be enlightened about the drought, folsom lake releases, etc., and instead I find a big argument. Should have known better to not trust the title of the thread---this is the steelhead forum

winxp_man
02-03-2016, 01:12 PM
This thread is funny. Opened it up and expected to be enlightened about the drought, folsom lake releases, etc., and instead I find a big argument. Should have known better to not trust the title of the thread---this is the steelhead forum

I actually think it's been real civil for the type of discussion. It could be real bad. But some nice insight on different views. As for the lake everything I have been reading and watching I guess they will start releasing after the 57% full level is reached which has happened as of Feb 2. We will see how much and when real soon I'm thinking.

winxp_man
02-03-2016, 03:00 PM
Talk about fish not going to bite for a few days!! :D :D

Jeff F
02-03-2016, 03:45 PM

Anyone up for a discussion on the use of pegged beads? :cool:

Troutsource
02-03-2016, 04:02 PM
I live right across the street from the lake and jog there 4-5 times a week. Within the last week it finally went from looking like a river to looking like a lake again. The water actually goes across the whole valley now, without a massive wedge in the middle and a bunch of peninsulas and islands. I drove along the dam over the weekend and did a double take. On the downside, now there are a million more seagulls there crapping all over the place. Maybe a marine biologist can say whether that's good or bad for the lake and ultimately the river and its fish. Another thing: the view from the lake of the snowcaps has been impressive this year -- much better than anything I remember from last year.

steel2theReel
02-04-2016, 12:01 AM
According to the great Jim Teeny, "You stone 'em, you own 'em." He throws rocks in the water (or at least he used to) to find the steelhead (by watching them move), and claims that they'll still hit a fly even after this occurs. I ran into him once on the Green. Here was this mutant just pulling in big rainbows hand over fist at the put-in. He was swinging one of his Teeny Nymphs in some shallow water and I couldn't believe how many fish he was hauling in. This was during a cicada hatch. The he introduced himself and gave us each a few of his flies (I think I read somewhere he tried to patent them). A consummate self-promoter. I tried them a few times on the A and actually had some success. Which gives me an idea...

Below is a picture of a Teeny Nymph.

Hi, Troutsource:

I happen to have been friends with Jim for over 20 years, ever since I owned a fly shop in Auburn. And that story, (actually a quote from a book he wrote once), I have always taken issue with. Still Jim's motivations are different than this sick individual I am referring to.

The heinous act I am referring to was taking several POUND cobbles with the intent of killing these fish. Even more heinous was the fact that he was teaching his KID to do the same. What kind of person teaches the next generation how to break the law and poach?

BTW, I don't think a DEED Steelie will hit a fly again....

Yuba rainbow
02-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Anyone up for a discussion on the use of pegged beads? :cool:

Sure lol. I would never use one but I see no problem with them especially if your will to throw a bobber with anything under it. Or an egg sucking leech, or swing anything with an orange spot on it mimicking an egg.

winxp_man
02-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Sure lol. I would never use one but I see no problem with them especially if your will to throw a bobber with anything under it. Or an egg sucking leech, or swing anything with an orange spot on it mimicking an egg.

I would say the point of such a discussion would be that a pegged bead is not a tied fly where as a leech you do tie. Other than that as long as its legal I could care less what someone uses to catch fish......

On the other hand I do like the red eyes on this feller :D

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg48/winxp_man/FB36BACE-12F0-40B9-AFDE-F041E3BA9D83_zpsr0iu1jwv.jpg (http://s245.photobucket.com/user/winxp_man/media/FB36BACE-12F0-40B9-AFDE-F041E3BA9D83_zpsr0iu1jwv.jpg.html)

Yuba rainbow
02-04-2016, 01:41 PM
I would say the point of such a discussion would be that a pegged bead is not a tied fly where as a leech you do tie. Other than that as long as its legal I could care less what someone uses to catch fish......

On the other hand I do like the red eyes on this feller :D

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg48/winxp_man/FB36BACE-12F0-40B9-AFDE-F041E3BA9D83_zpsr0iu1jwv.jpg (http://s245.photobucket.com/user/winxp_man/media/FB36BACE-12F0-40B9-AFDE-F041E3BA9D83_zpsr0iu1jwv.jpg.html)
True true what if someone makes their own beads lol. Me too that looks great!!

winxp_man
02-04-2016, 02:05 PM
I have met a few that actually do hahaha!

Morgan
02-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Just like folks who TRY and talk bad on folks using bobbers.
They get all butt hurt because they dont know how to properly mend or make a drift.
All they can do is dress like a hipster and huck a sloppy cast across the river and let it drag through the water column.
No wonder it takes those idiots a thousand casts for a grab ;)