PDA

View Full Version : Help me solve a rod storage argument please

John Sv
01-26-2016, 10:13 AM
My Dad lives in Reno. Plenty hot and cold. Stores his rods in the garage. Graphite , Glass, and bamboo. Says it is no problem and apparently hasn't been for many years.

Me, I live in Truckee. Store rods in the house in a closet, because somewhere I picked up that very cold and very warm are not good for rods.

Skis don't seem to care about cold and they are made of glass and graphite. Stealth fighters seem to do fine in cold and heat and they are made of the same base stuff (I think)

What say you? Garage, or climate control? It would be nice not to have a closet dedicated to fishing gear!

cdevine
01-26-2016, 04:00 PM
My Dad lives in Reno. Plenty hot and cold. Stores his rods in the garage. Graphite , Glass, and bamboo. Says it is no problem and apparently hasn't been for many years.

Me, I live in Truckee. Store rods in the house in a closet, because somewhere I picked up that very cold and very warm are not good for rods.

Skis don't seem to care about cold and they are made of glass and graphite. Stealth fighters seem to do fine in cold and heat and they are made of the same base stuff (I think)

What say you? Garage, or climate control? It would be nice not to have a closet dedicated to fishing gear!

Thermal expansion happens especially in temps like Reno/Truckee. Expansion and contraction right. I think the main problem people run into is when they don't break down rods and they get "stuck" together when the expand with the cold. That can be a real pain and you can break a rod easy. I seem to fish enough and I'm too lazy to break my rods down after each trip. I personally leave the ones that I fish with consistently indoors and store others in garage.

Random ? for you... Sort of goes with storage. Anybody buy that Denver Rod Fault holder? That thing is cool. I can travel with 3 rigged rods secure on my roof. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

njbeast
01-26-2016, 05:26 PM
Not to be a dick but heat expands...cold contracts

SeanO
01-26-2016, 08:04 PM
"Garager" here in Sac area.

Temps range from below freezing to over 110°. Not a problem yet.