PDA

View Full Version : UUgh ! Packing :(

Tony Buzolich
01-24-2016, 07:40 PM
Every time I go somewhere fishing that requires air travel I seem to take WAY TOOOO much stuff. And this trip is no different, maybe even worse. I say that because it's my first trip to Kiritimati, aka. Christmas Island. So it's natural to take along a few extra rods and reels, and meds, and more meds, and insect repellant, and sun screen, and so on and so on. Did I mention food? Yep, even food snacks for mid day as lunches are apparently less than desirable and snacks are highly recommended to supplement the peanut butter or milkfish / trevally salad sandwiches.

The other thing that has really added to the packing is having to take rods and reels for both BIG and little fish at the same time. Bonefish will be great on the 7wt. or 8 wt. rods, but at the same time try to pack a big rod and reel for GT's! And an even BIGGER rod and reel for offshore stuff like tuna and wahoo.

Whewwww, I'm tired. Maybe once I get on the plane tomorrow I can sleep a little and relax. Yah, I'm excited. Really excited :)

Hopefully I'll have some great pictures and stories to tell when I get back.

See ya in a couple of weeks, Tony

Rockman
01-24-2016, 11:03 PM
Hope you have an incredible trip Tony!
Look forward to your reports and pics.

Kneedeep
01-25-2016, 06:55 AM
I hear you loud and clear. We're packing for South Island, NZ for 4 weeks Feb/Marchand trying to keep it under 50# per.
Boots weigh too much!
Enjoy your trip!

Idadon
01-25-2016, 09:03 AM
OMG! I can't believe you guys. I feel so sorry for you. Just kidding, really. I once got a free trip to the Secshelles (?spelling?) thanks to the US Navy. If it would net me a trip back I'd gladly spend a week packing. Enjoy!!!!!

mems
01-25-2016, 09:42 AM
Aloha Tony, good luck on CI. Don't forget to hit duty free in Honolulu and get a bottle of booze. Me, I like tequila. It will save you while on the island. The beers are the same price everywhere, $3 a piece. We bought them cheaper at the store one year, but now the price is the same everywhere. You won't need many clothes while there. Get some lihi mui snacks n Honolulu, the guides love mango. Hope you get a big 100lb ulua. Are you going to chase some big bones on oahu before or after? Have fun, Don

mems
01-25-2016, 12:36 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/fishing1236_zps813b2401.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/mems15/media/fishing1236_zps813b2401.jpg.html)
Just to get you psyched, don't come home until you get one of these, Mems

DLJeff
01-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Packing is a heckuva lot more fun than unpacking. I'm packing as well for the Amazon Wednesday. Feeling good about a nice weather window for travel too. Keep good notes and photos Tony, I'm headed to Kiritimati later this year so I'll looking to learn from you.

Baja Fly Fisher
01-28-2016, 08:32 AM
I"m already excited and I don't leave until March. I think I have 60lbs just in flies. I'm packing light on the clothes. Only two changes, the rest is fishing equipment and snacks. Other than my fishing gear, my heaviest thing will be my wading shoes. I'm carrying my rods in a case and my reels in my back pack. I have enough fly lines to stock the shelves in a shop.
Good luck and have fun... Oh hell, I know you'll have fun

Jay