PDA

View Full Version : UV curing light

retirednavy
01-23-2016, 03:44 PM
So, after about 3 months of using my Loon Mega UV light, and with battery switches along the way, the bulb begins to dim. So I change batteries and then I hear a fizzle. Then, it pretty much works at almost no power. 70 bucks kaput!

So, what the heck, I head to OSH and grab a cheapie $9 whatever it is UV led flashlight for HVAC repairmen. Cheaply made. Meant to break easily in one year. No hope of it working at all on Loon thick UV resin in a sizable blob.

Worked like a champ. Worked better than Loon UV mega lamp in its prime without question. Cured thick Loon resin in a legitimate 15 seconds with far less tack.

My dentist told me that the issue with earlier UV resins was that skin of the resin cured first and that the inner resin then was prevented from reaching full cure, and that the tack was vapor seepage.

His UV cure light is lower wattage and lumen than the Loom UV mega. In fact, my cheapo is nearly the same lumen and wattage as my dentist's.

It works better also.

Caveat emptor I guess.

What galls me is that the doggone UV light was just hanging in OSH with little or no advertising or belch fire. Looks Chinese made. Looks really cheap all around. But it works. No "aircraft aluminum" or careful machined threads or solid feel in the hand. A bunch of recycled crap aluminum and plastic you know is brittle and will break if dropped.