PDA

View Full Version : 3 Walton Powell rare length/slow action graphite rods for sale

Rich Morrison
01-21-2016, 12:57 PM
I have three Walton Powell graphite rods for sale. These are the slower action standard graphite tapers rolled to Walt's specs by Jim Kantnor out of San Diego in the 70s. I have one 10' rod and one 7' rod. All are the rather utilitarian finish Walt preferred...charcoal gray blank, dark wraps, anodized all metal reel seats, and a black "The Walton Powell rod" decal. All are in original tube and sock. Tubes are the Walton Powell white with gray fittings PVC and all have the green/gold Walton Powell decal.

The 10' rods are 3-4-5wt and a 6-7wt. I had them both out this weekend - the lighter with a n Orvis 3wt line and the heavier with a 406 5wt. Wonderful full flexing lake/big water rods. A light Walton Powell in a 10' rod is almost unheard of. Both are in decent used condition, as are the tubes.

Asking $175 For each.

The 7' is a very special rod. It shows a few signs of use and the tube is mint (also the white/gray PVC). The decal has the mis spelled "Fishing Tackle of Distiction" label...the word Distiction is missing the first 'N'. Walt had a batch of tube labels made up and when he sent them to the printers they didn't catch the spelling error. When it was pointed out to him later, Walt responded that he "was a rodmaker, not God D#$! secretary..." and he continued to use the labels. And then there is the rod. This taper and material combination in a 7' rod is as sweet as it gets for graphite. The only reason I'm selling is I'm lucky enough to have two. This rod is simply as good as it gets for Walt's work in graphite.
Asking $250 for this one.

All prices include shipping and all forms of payment are accepted. Please PM or email rich@classicpowellrod.com with interest.

Photos are available via email or text...just ask. I'm limiting the number of photos I post via photo bucket because if use too much data they will charge me. Such is the internet these days...

Troutstalker55B
01-22-2016, 08:45 AM
Rich,

We discussed these rods a few years ago but my memory is foggy at best. I have the seven foot graphite as well, and yes, what a sweet rod! I fish mine all the time, so much in fact I had it rewrapped a few ago. Does yours have the metal ferrule connections? I believe mine is from 1974 when my brother worked as Walton's apprentice. For fishing smaller waters and dry flies this rod is perfect for such. Who ever buys the 7 footer is in for a real treat. - J.

Rich Morrison
01-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Jon - this one has the tip over butt ferrule, not metal. It's a very sweet rod. I got it out again this morning to cast in the yard. I've also lowered the asking price...

Rich Morrison
01-26-2016, 12:38 PM
Price drop...

Rich Morrison
02-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Another drop...

Rich Morrison
02-09-2016, 05:06 AM
My buyer had a change of heart on the lighter 10' rod. Price drop and all are still available.
Rich

Rich Morrison
02-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Make me an offer...too much graphite inventory...

Rich Morrison
02-24-2016, 07:43 PM
Come cast them in person...

I'll have these and a number of other rods and reels for sale at the Santa Rosa Vintage Tackle show 11 and 12 March...

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?37071-Santa-Rosa-Vintage-Tackle-Show-11-and-12-March-2016