PDA

View Full Version : Pflueger Medalist 1494--Pre 1938' No Drag

Idadon
01-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Looking for some info about this reel. I've had it since I was a kid, at least 60 years or so and was wondering if this reel is worth anything as a collectors item?

It has a metal center medallion on the spool not the plastic. It is stamped as a 1494 which according to what I can find out was the "Medium" size reel originally produced. It has the ring line guide. It is a right hand reel and can not be reversed. Again, according to what I can find out, it was produced sometime between the original introduction in the early 30's and 1938 when they added a drag.

As to condition; it's fully functional but seen lots of play. It has some "road rash" on the back plate that is the result of a spill I took on my bike while riding home from a local pond where I fished poppers for Bass and Bream. I got a new Medalist in my teens and this one was retired until my son found it and used it for a little while in the 80's.

Was just wondering if these have any real value now as collectors items?

jerry from sac
01-04-2016, 08:03 AM
Check this web site.
-
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/oldflies/part287.php

Idadon
01-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys! I looked at the attachment sent and I'm pretty sure this is the original model. It's got the round line guard and all the pillars are sculpted. One I've seen the pillars are silver, mine are black. I used this one in the intended manner, right hand reel just like my baitcaster was. Sometime in the late 50's my mom redeemed some of her "Green Stamps" in the form of a spinning outfit for me. It was a left hand reel. It felt comfortable so when I acquired a new Medalist it was set to left hand reel. Now I am left for spinning and fly. Right hand for baitcasters.

This Medalist and a very ornate Pflueger "Knuckle-Buster" are my oldest fishing items. Was really curious if this fly reel was worth any money.......Thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-04-2016, 10:07 AM
I spent 50 years in the fishing tackle business in Sacramento and am kind of a Pflueger Medalist lover but in my lifetime I have never seen that 1994 without a drag.

It is super rare so hang on to it or get it to a museum.

I have a 1495 1/2 that is really old though.

My article on the Pflueger Medalists.

http://www.billkiene.com/fishing/pflueger-medalist-fly-reel/