PDA

View Full Version : Grain Weight for Compact Rage Line

MHeuch
12-26-2015, 03:47 PM
I am looking to purchase an Airflow Compact Rage line, but I am not sure what weight to purchase.
My rod is a 6126 Prospector with a 450 +/- 25 grain window. Tim's video recommends 30 grains below a Skagit. AirFlow's 2012 chart list compact rage 420 and Skagit 450 for this rod, but the 2015 chart now list 450 for the Compact Rage 450 and 450 for a Skagit rod of this for grain window.

Anyone have experience with the Compact Rage? For a given rod, is better to use the same grain as a Skagit line or go down a size.

Mark H.

Ben J
12-26-2015, 11:59 PM
I would think a 420 grain rage would be a nice place to start on that rod. Keep in mind that the rage heads are designed to fish with a poly/ versi leader plus a 4-7 foot mono leader.

Mark Kranhold
12-27-2015, 12:58 AM
If it lists a 450 skag, then defiantly go with a 420 rage!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-27-2015, 08:56 AM
I am just an intermediate Spey caster so the Airflo Rage floating head is my go to line.

It is kind of between a Scandi and a Skagit with some front taper. Very versatile......

With a selection of 10 foot Poly/Versi leaders you are in pretty good shape.

If you are just getting started I would have someone at Kiene's American Fly Fishing Company help you get the right size.

We actually have full sets of lines for testing you can take down to the river for getting an exact fit.

Rick J
12-27-2015, 11:36 AM
one question I would ask is do you vary your casting method when you switch between skagit lines and "scandi" type lines - that is do you use sustained anchor casts when using skagit and touch and go when using scandi - if answer is yes, I would likely step down to the420 but if you use sustained anchor for both methods and if 450 works well on that rod with sustained anchor I would question why step down? The rod does not know if the line is a skagit or a scandi

Terry Thomas
12-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Would agree with Rick, 420. If you want to chuck bigger stuff with heavier tips you should be using a Skagit 450.

Nate Bailey
12-30-2015, 09:10 AM
I am looking to purchase an Airflow Compact Rage line, but I am not sure what weight to purchase.
My rod is a 6126 Prospector with a 450 +/- 25 grain window. Tim's video recommends 30 grains below a Skagit. AirFlow's 2012 chart list compact rage 420 and Skagit 450 for this rod, but the 2015 chart now list 450 for the Compact Rage 450 and 450 for a Skagit rod of this for grain window.

Anyone have experience with the Compact Rage? For a given rod, is better to use the same grain as a Skagit line or go down a size.

Mark H.

Mark, it really depends on what kind of casting/and fishing you plan on doing. If your going to do waterborne cast such as snap t's and doubles go to the top of your grain window. If you are going to cast/fish with touch and goes, single speys and snake rolls, go to the lighter end of the window. Of course the more grains your throwing the bigger flies and tips your can throw. hope that helps.