PDA

View Full Version : Dave Scadden Navigator

Idadon
12-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Talk about closing the barn door after the horses are out! I just bought a new DS Navigator. Kind of a hybrid float tube/kayak. Inflatable and weighs less than 20lbs. I've fished out of Scadden boats before and they always seemed well designed. I'm through with drift boats and jet sleds. Was looking for something I can carry in my RV, something light and easy to get in the water and above all else good to fish from.

I probably won't get to try it out till late spring but I'm looking for any advise, things to avoid and general opinions from anybody that has experience with this vessel. I'm in my late sixties but still not ready to drown so if you know something I'd like to hear it, good or bad. I fish lots of lakes in Southeastern Idaho, both forks of the Snake River, the Klamath and Rogue in the fall. Lots of experience with a drift boat and many years ago, kayaks and canoes.

JayDubP
12-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Idahon: I am also in my late 60's and in past year I have test driven a number of pontoons and inflatables in my search for my retirement craft, Navigator is in my top 5. Last summer I used a Navigator on the N Fork of the Boise River (Class III & IV) using the 2 oar setup. It handled well BUT I did get very wet (something to consider for cold weather). It is well balanced when inflated so you could carry it quite a distance. Have not used it with double ended paddle like a kayak-- but my impression is that oars are better because of its width.

I have never floated the Rogue, but it would be fine on all the other waters you listed.

I would still use a cordless/rechargeable air pump and top off with a hand pump (and to deflate it for storage) ... just because.

Idadon
12-24-2015, 04:33 PM
JayDubP: thanks for the info. I spotted the sale on the Navigator only 3 hours before it ended so jumped on it without a lot of investigation. I did consider the prospect of getting some water in my lap but I usually wear waders with some kind of dry top anyway so no big deal. I was primarily swayed by the option to use the oars and fins. I've never met an inflatable kayak that tracked good anyway so no reason to think this one would. I was mostly drawn in by the weight of this unit and the sale price. If it doesn't do the trick I'm sure I can find a grandkid to haul it away. It is gratifying to hear this was in your top 5. Have you settled on a choice yet?

DennisV
12-25-2015, 06:36 PM
I have this boat and like it a lot.

Only used it in stillwater so far. No river use yet

But it doesn't row for beans. I dumped the oars and oarlocks and got a very long kayak paddle right away.
So with fins and kayak paddle, going backwards like a tube, it moves fairly well.

I cut the front spray skirt shorter and removed the foot rest cross bar to make it easier to get in and out of
with fins on.

You need to anchor from all the way back at the aft end to keep it from weathervaning in the wind.
I cut a slit between the floor and tube and use a 2" velcro strap and stainless ring to tether the anchor line
back to the stern.

I don't use the side bags to keep the clutter down. I just keep two small drybags on the inflated floor behind the seat.

I mounted a small lowrance elite 3x FF/transducer on a tube strap and keep a tiny 3ah 12v batt on the floor behind the seat.

I like it better than my SFC because I can travel considerably farther and faster with the Navigator
with out paying a big weight penalty and it still packs down fairly small while deflated.

I also have a LURE 10 hard fishing kayak that I use on bigger lakes. The Nav. just can't compete with that boat
on bigger water.

They all have their place. So I keep them all.

Idadon
12-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Hey Dennis: Thanks for the input. Not sure if I will be rowing a whole lot. Light boats and pontoons all seem to handle bad with oars. Maybe they just respond to quick to any imbalance in force between left and right. I just got rid of Alumaweld Guide Model drifter. Really heavy boat but it rowed much better than my Bronco Extreme. It's a weight and stability issue I guess. I had a Nucanoe that rowed pretty good but was to heavy to try to get on and off the top of my SUV. In all likelihood I'll probably use it for short little runs and then use the fins to fish.

I do like your idea about the anchor setup. I know that Scotty makes a tube anchor setup. Worried that in a current the high tether point might tend to cause a problem. Guess it would depend on the current strength. Was wondering about the foot rest. I'm pretty tall an worried that it would be to close to the seat, force my knees up, and interfere with rowing. But if you take it out what do you brace against to row? Does taking the foot rest out make the bladders unstable? I've already got a little portable fish finder and a mount for my Bronco tube. Figure that should work.

Guess I'll work it out when the lakes up here thaw off. Right now it's only 6* and prediction is for -12* tonight. Not good fishing weather. Later

DennisV
12-26-2015, 05:49 PM
I don't row. I use my fins and a kayak paddle simultaneously to propel the boat backwards.
A little coordination between kicks and paddle strokes keeps the boat tracking pretty straight.

Taking the foot rest out does not noticeably effect tube rigidity.

I'm 6'4" and could not get my feet up on the foot rest with my fins on. My knees and thighs
were up so high they interfered with the oars and a natural rowing motion. So I got rid of the oar set up
and went to the kayak paddle.

As far as anchoring in a current, I probably wouldn't as you can just stand up through the open bottom
and fish without the hassle and potential safety problems of anchoring.

My anchor set up works like this.

I have a 2" nylon /velcro strap around the tube just to the port side of the aft end. You'll have to cut a slit in the solid rubber between the inflatable floor and the tube for the strap. I thread the 2" strap through the handle loop of a 6' nylon strap dog leash.

I use a 6lb coated mushroom anchor on a 50' 5/16 nylon rope. I clip the the dog leash to the anchor line. I put a slip knot in the anchor line where appropriate for the depth I'm in, and tie off the bitter end of the anchor line to a d-ring in the middle of the boat. I can raise and lower the anchor from the side of the boat where it's easy and comfortable.

Then when I lower the anchor, the slip knot stops at the leash clip, let out some slack, and the leash/anchor line rotates out to the back where it comes tight to 2" strap. Then I can just pull up the anchor line from the middle of the boat and the dog leash will rotate forward as the anchor reaches the boat. Cheap and easy.

I hope that made sense.

Idadon
12-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Dennis: I'm 6'5" and had the same issue with feet/ fins and footrest on my Bronco. Ended up making extensions for my footrests but never felt very comfortable. I like the basic concept of your anchor setup. Seems like it's pretty simple and best of all, cheap. Is it comfortable to use the kayak paddle and go forward? Thanks!

DennisV
12-28-2015, 04:46 PM
Is it comfortable to use the kayak paddle and go forward? Thanks!

I just don't know. I never do it.
I suppose if you can figure out a extended foot rest it will but then that front spray skirt
may be a problem. Backwards is way less hassle and quick too.

If I need to travel longer distances, I use my hard kayak instead.

Idadon
12-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Well half the fun is figuring this stuff out. The other half is catching the fish, of course.

DennisV
12-28-2015, 08:47 PM
And the other other half is lumping 20 lbs around instead of 90

By the way

I found one of these on Craigslist for a $100
The boat, seat, bags, anchor, net, fins,waders, and paddle all fit in perfectly and keep all the wet mess
outside my van or jeep. Then I can take the box off the heavy hitch parts and keep the boat/stuff in there for long term storage.

Idadon
12-29-2015, 07:44 AM
SO TRUE. After a lifetime of stacking hay and fire wood it's humbling to be tired after trying to get a 40lb pram on top of my Suburban. I have a Yakima car top carrier in my garage and was hoping this little boat and associated stuff would fit in that. It's still on top of the car but... If not I'll just carry it in the back of my "Burb". Have you ever inflated your Navigator and car topped it to the fishin hole? The Scadden video shows a guy doing that. I used to do that with my Bronco and it seemed to do OK up there but was a real pain to get up there by myself. Hoping that once I get where I'm going I'll inflate it and just keep it that way till we move on.

Idadon
01-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Hey Dennis: I received my Navigator today. Blew it up in my living room and really like the way it looks. Problem is it arrived here without the sidebags and no oars. Called NFO right away and they were very apologetic and promised to ship the oars and bags ASAP.

I've been researching your hitch carry solution and it looks pretty cool. I didn't receive a carry bag with the boat, not sure I was supposed to, so looking for something big enough. I thought this boat would fold up a little smaller as I have limited room in my RV rig so might have to reconsider my plans. Maybe a hitch on the back of my trailer, or a car top carrier. Hoping that after a few inflates/deflates it will fold a little better. Or maybe I'm just babying it, but it's a pretty big package....... Don

steveg137
01-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Love the Thule transporter idea, not seen those before.

DennisV
01-05-2016, 10:35 PM
I do carry it on my jeep using Yakima saddles

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac314/dvagt_photo/saddles_zpsat7it6vf.jpg (http://s911.photobucket.com/user/dvagt_photo/media/saddles_zpsat7it6vf.jpg.html)

But only after arriving at my destination.

I would imagine if the boat is rigid enough for class 3 whitewater that it would be rigid enough to ride on top at 60 mph.

But my house is at 1300' Elev. and I'm always going over 8800' Carson Pass and I'm concerned the change in pressure
might cause some problems so it's always deflated for the long hauls.

I bought my boat used and it didn't come with a storage bag.

It does NOT pack down very small. That storage bag you see in the Scadden promo video is a joke.
It will never fit back in there.

The stock oars are absolute crap. If you're really set on using oars then upgrade right away to those longer fancy yellow high dollar
ones he has and get a credit on the stock oars BEFORE he sends them.