PDA

View Full Version : Any information on the Lower Yuba private fishing club?

Rollcast1971
12-16-2015, 12:15 AM
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask if any of you know anything about the Tailwater Club on the top three miles of the Lower Yuba. Is it worth joining? Do any of you have any experiences with the club or its water? Any information is much appreciated!

TigerLilly
12-16-2015, 05:26 PM
The best fishing upstream are the first two long riffles right above the bridge. You can legally access them at these flows. With a bit of effort you can wade 100% of the private water legally but it isn't like you are going to get into any better fishing. I think the best fishing on the river is the last mile and a half above Sycamore. There are times the private water is more crowded than the public stretch. The grass is always greener.

yubaman
12-16-2015, 06:00 PM
Yes, yes and yes to answer your questions. In my opinion, it is the best water on the river, I've fished the Yuba a lot for 10 years, and I always do much better up there than down at Sycamore, the island, etc. Once the flows get above 2200 cfs, it is about impossible to cross the Yuba and access the Tailwater property. You can go Billy Goat over the hill into the UC property and go up, but that is one hell of a hoof, up and back.

The crowds are actually less than downriver. The most members I have seen on that stretch in a day is 6. You can drive on gravel roads within a stone's throw of the river, and not worry about your car being broken into! I was asking the same questions your were 3 years ago and decided to bite the bullet, and have been very happy with my decision. However, a couple of things to be aware of (a) Randy was not able to renegotiate the lease on one of the properties in the package this year, and we lost one access and ( b ) on most weekends, you will find fishing clubs and groups utilizing the UC access with 10-20 people fishing that side of the river. Because of that, I avoid going up on Saturdays, usually during the week.. I was up last Wednesday, and was the only guy on the property!!!! It's not for everyone, but I love it.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-16-2015, 09:08 PM
CA D F & G told me in their fish counts the biggest population of trout is above the bridge.

TigerLilly
12-18-2015, 10:47 AM
Hi Bill-
The trout in the Lower Yuba move around a lot. There are times when it seems most of the fish are above the bridge and at times most of the fish are downstream of the bridge. Most of the time they are spread pretty evenly throughout the system. Time of year, water temperature, and flows are all variables in Yuba trout distribution. DFW may have done a survey when trout were primarily upstream, but I certainly don't believe a one time survey tells the bigger picture. Ask ANY of the guides who fish the river a lot and they will all tell you that locating the trout is goal number one.

Troutstalker55B
12-18-2015, 12:12 PM
Hi Bill-
The trout in the Lower Yuba move around a lot. There are times when it seems most of the fish are above the bridge and at times most of the fish are downstream of the bridge. Most of the time they are spread pretty evenly throughout the system. Time of year, water temperature, and flows are all variables in Yuba trout distribution. DFW may have done a survey when trout were primarily upstream, but I certainly don't believe a one time survey tells the bigger picture. Ask ANY of the guides who fish the river a lot and they will all tell you that locating the trout is goal number one.

Thank you TigerLilly for an accurate response that is spot on, those fish move more than you think. A couple years ago I met a fisheries biologist from CDFW who was in charge of implanting radio receivers on fish. That year they tagged a 16" rainbow below the bridge. In a week and a half it was found in the San Francisco bay. A week later above the the Parks Bar bridge! Putting rules on fish, runs, and hatches is a no no. Observe.

Mark Kranhold
12-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Thank you TigerLilly for an accurate response that is spot on, those fish move more than you think. A couple years ago I met a fisheries biologist from CDFW who was in charge of implanting radio receivers on fish. That year they tagged a 16" rainbow below the bridge. In a week and a half it was found in the San Francisco bay. A week later above the the Parks Bar bridge! Putting rules on fish, runs, and hatches is a no no. Observe.
That is pretty impressive mileage in a 2 week stretch for a trout. Especially with the predatory bodies of water it had to swim through :eek: Sounds like it was a half pound steelhead that just went out for a taste of salt and came straight home. Thanks for the info John!

yubaman
12-18-2015, 01:42 PM
About 3 years ago, I was talking with Jonathan ( damn, wish I could remember his last name) who was running the Steelhead research project for for DF&W on the Yuba. This sounds like the same study, where they microchipped around 150 fish if I remember correctly. As I recall, he said they came up with 3 defined groups of Yuba Steelies (a) a group that made a true ocean run (b) a group that ran to the Delta about to Rio Vista and then came back to the Yuba and Feather and (c) a group that never left the Yuba.

Conclusions from the study were a big question mark . . more questions than answers from the survey at the time. There was no rhyme or reason to the different runs of fish.