PDA

View Full Version : Rio Gold vs Rio Grand

VinnySteel
12-08-2015, 01:41 PM
So I just bought myself a sage 4200 series reel for my 5 wt and I'm trying to decide witch line I should put on it. In the past I've used Rio Gold since it seems to be a good "do it all" type line. I really have no complaints with the Gold as it does the job for indicator fishing as well as casting dries. After looking at the Grand it has more of an aggressive front taper that I'm sure would help me turn over some of the big indicator rigs a bit easier. I find myself nymphing with an indicator 80-90% of the time I'm on the water anyways but I still would like to have a line that can make a precise dry fly cast when needed. So I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have experience with the grand vs gold? Especially how the Grand casts and presents dries vs the Gold. Thanks!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-08-2015, 02:58 PM
Both are very popular lines.

I think if you want to throw larger indicators or Poly leaders and streamers I would go with the Grand which has a more powerful front taper.

I think the Grand is a little heavier to for faster tipped rods.

For more delicate stuff I would go with the Gold.

Sheepdog8404
12-09-2015, 10:31 PM
I don't bobber fish much, but the few times I have been in a pinch and resorted to it, my Gold had a pretty rough time with a 1" thingamabobber, one fly and a couple bb's on the leader. The Gold is a pretty good line for dry flies, hopper droppers and swinging soft hackles. But for turning over even moderately sized, fairly light streamers and heavyish indicator rigs, I think it sucks. Just my .02 though! If you're mainly indicator fishing, check out the salmon/steelhead lines. They mend like a dream, single hand spey really well and turn over some pretty heavy streamers/nymph rigs with ease. Kiene's has a BUNCH of the Scientific Anglers steelhead lines right now in their clearance section. I wanna say 30ish bucks, give or take a few??? Cheap enough to at least give a shot and see what you think!

VinnySteel
12-10-2015, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the input guys! I'll have to swing bye and check out the bargain bin at Kiene's. My brother uses the outbound short for indicator rigs as well as casting streamers, and it casts big stuff like a dream. He also has the gold on another spool for dries witch would be ideal. My problem is I can't justify another $150 to my wife for an extra spool! Haha. I think that's why the Grand caught my eye. It seems like it is definatley better than Gold for indicator rigs, but Im trying to figure out if I can still at least get buy casting dries with it as well. I'll figure it out I guess.

Sheepdog8404
12-10-2015, 10:00 AM
I would say yes you very well could get by casting dries with it, though it won't be as delicate of a presentation as with the Gold. You could probably make up for it with a LONG tapered leader with some good length of tippet or give a couple furled leaders a shot. The landing might be a bit clunky with a size 18 Adams on a 9' tapered mono with that Grand.