PDA

View Full Version : Feather River Bonefish ?

Tony Buzolich
12-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Getting ready for a trip is always fun, and trying out new toys is like having Christmas and a birthday together. Christmas Island is coming up soon and I just had to try out a couple of new toys. I just bought a new Hardy Ultralite and a 7 wt. SAGE One to go with it for our trip.

Naturally casting at the park is only so good so yesterday morning it's off to the river we go. Gotta give this new rig a real wet test.

As I get started to hook up the boat, I can't find my trailer key :( Damn! I look everywhere inside and out and it's not to be found. Now what ? I go for the bolt cutters but can't find them either. Damn again. Okay, last resort, get the sawzill and new blade and go for it. Damn again, it's case hardened and tough as hell. After twenty minutes of cutting it finally comes off. Now daylight, it's getting late and I tell myself to slow down and relax. I call Bill and ask if he'd like to go for a short trip and we're finally off.

We get to the river and it has come up a little and looks dirty. Covered with leaf droppings from trees upstream everything looks a mess. Even the ramp looked as if it were dry but nothing but packed floating debris.

We get under way and idle upstream till we shallow out. It's now only 1' to 2' in the channel and that's far enough. There's a gravel bar in the middle of the river here that has a shallow drop off into deeper water. Fish will often hold here or travel up on the bar chasing bait. We kill the motor and begin to drift back downstream casting in this very shallow water. Most of the weeds are gone now but we're still snagging bottom as we cast toward the drop off.

I turn and make a couple of casts in the deeper 2'-3' water and get an immediate grab. Bingo! On my new rod, and it feels strong and fairly heavy. One flash of silver and I thought I had a salmon. A quick turn under and around the boat and I saw stripes. Great, I'll take a striper over a salmon any day.

A few more runs and into the boat she comes. First bonefish on my new rod :)
Tony
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/IMG_0194_zpscggp659x.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/buzolich/media/IMG_0194_zpscggp659x.jpg.html)

Darian
12-05-2015, 05:41 PM
Hey Tony,.... Good looking Bonefish. ;) You sure have a way with Stripers.... :cool:

Mr T
12-05-2015, 05:44 PM
A bonefish in a tuxedo! Awesome!

SeanO
12-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Great, I'll take a striper over a salmon any day.

Come on, Tony- Let's support our native fish!

Just kidding. Nice chromer you got there, I have heard of some VERY nice sized striper coming up river so far this fall.

Congrats, and good luck down in paradise!

Tony Buzolich
12-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys. The best part was christening a new rod with my favorite fish. This size was great on a 7 wt.