PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo for Wahoo! - Tying a Double Hook

Tony Buzolich
12-05-2015, 10:39 AM
I don't know how many of you out there have ever tied BIG saltwater flies, but it's not as easy as you might think. And, it's expensive because of the amount of material it takes.

And, to make matters worse, try tying it as a tandem hook with a wire leader attached through both hooks. For wahoo 135# wire is NOT too much for a bite tippet.

Anyway, here's a few picture of me struggling with tying one of these monster flies with wire attached and then the finished product. I used a similar one with 80# fluorocarbon on tiger muskies that got bit off in a heartbeat this last spring so wire is the only way to go for cuda's or wahoo.

Any suggestions for tying with wire leaders ? Christmas Island is coming quick.
Tony

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/Picture1_zpswbe271e1.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/buzolich/media/Picture1_zpswbe271e1.jpg.html)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/025_zpscokwlrqu.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/buzolich/media/025_zpscokwlrqu.jpg.html)

DLJeff
12-05-2015, 04:16 PM
I don't see any blood. I keep a supply of band-aids on hand when I tie tandems.

Tony Buzolich
12-05-2015, 04:47 PM
You sure said that one right. I've tied a few using the #600SP hooks that are downright dangerous to work with.

Darian
12-05-2015, 11:42 PM
Good looking flies Tony. I've tied a bunch of flies with tandem hooks for Baja roughly using the method described by Ray Beadles. See the link for a description:

http://www.danblanton.com/tandemflies.html

I've modified his tying process by adding a length of Gudebrod braided mono as a covering for the wire between the two hooks, wrapping the entire braided mono covering with tying thread and coating it with Plio-Bond.

In doing some reading about blue-water fishing at Christmas Isl., I see that trolling is the method of choice by locals. Although, I did see a couple of videos about teasing fish up and then casting to them. With all the types of fish and fishing over there, it should be a lot of fun. :cool:

DLJeff
12-06-2015, 10:42 AM
I never been a big fan of tandem rigs and stinger hooks because I felt they were hazardous to me, heh heh. But I think if I ever do tie any more, I'm going to get some 1/16 inch rubber tubing, cut me some 1/4 inch sections and slide them over the hook points of the stinger hook before tying the fly.

Another idea is to play with tube flies. Tie some blind tube flies that can be used as the forward half. Then tie some tube flies that would be the rear half and in which you insert the hook. Produces a big fly and keeps the hook back where it can be effective. Advantage also that you can mix and match forward and rearward halves.

Darian
12-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Yep!! Tandem rigs tend to "get" you when tying and probably aren't the safest to cast either. I have cast these flies but they don't really lend themselves to be cast easily.

I like the idea about using the rubber tubing on hook points when tying. I have some clear, vinyl(?) tubing that's a bit stiffer than rubber that might be used....

Carl Blackledge
12-06-2015, 11:54 AM
Darian,

I tie Real Big flies by the hundreds for Mexico and any other place where they need a big target. I switched to tube type at least 15 years ago. I tie a double hook rig with 80 pound Seagurd. I am sure you could use tiger wire instead of Mono.

When using tandem hooks they should always be 180 degree off set for best results.

If you want, I could post some pictures?

Carl Blackledge

Darian
12-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the offer, Carl. Using a tandem hook rig certainly is an interesting idea with tube flies. The style/method used to "build" a tandem rig by Ray Beadle results in a short, fairly rigid connection and opposing hook points (front turned up/the other down). Mr. Beadle ties the body of the fly entirely on the front hook. This method makes it easier to cast (if inclined to try) but is still (really) a trolling fly.

I tied up quite few of tandem rigs in advance of finishing back then and still have a few of them left over from the last time I used them in Baja. So, I might tie up some tube flies to use with those. Going to Christmas Isl., will be a good opportunity to use 'em up.

Carl Blackledge
12-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the offer, Carl. Using a tandem hook rig certainly is an interesting idea with tube flies. The style/method used to "build" a tandem rig by Ray Beadle results in a short, fairly rigid connection and opposing hook points (front turned up/the other down). Mr. Beadle ties the body of the fly entirely on the front hook. This method makes it easier to cast (if inclined to try) but is still (really) a trolling fly.

I tied up quite few of tandem rigs in advance of finishing back then and still have a few of them left over from the last time I used them in Baja. So, I might tie up some tube flies to use with those. Going to Christmas Isl., will be a good opportunity to use 'em up.

Darian,

Ray and I are very old friends, he actually went to Florida Tarpon fishing with me. I sat at the kitchen table in the Keys and watched him tie up his flies.

I don't know how you determine the difference between a trolling fly and just a big fly with tandem hooks? I am not trying to be sarcastic, just wondered.

If you use the tube method you will save lots of punctures and nicks from sharp hooks, ask me how I know?

You can always tie smaller tube flies and use smaller hook size rigs as opposed to making a big mess in the vice for one fly. just a thought.

Carl Blackledge

Darian
12-06-2015, 11:12 PM
Carl,.... It's all personal preference on my part. For my definition/use, any fly with a tandem hook set-up is a trolling fly first. The longer the connection between the front/back hook, the less likely I'll try to cast it regardless of size.

Now, I don't always troll in the sense that the boat has to be under power. Around La Ventana, currents are frequently quite strong. When that's the case and we're not chumming up fish, rather than getting underway, a lob-cast, shooting head a short distance up-current and with some slack released and a larger fly attached will attract strikes. When the fly has reached depth, it's drifting or trolling. I've done well with this technique.

A couple of years ago, when Sardinas were scarce, I tied up some Ballyhoo/Half Beak flies on 3/0 hooks to which I added a stinger hook (2/0) when strikes were short. I had no problem casting them but it wasn't as much fun as casting a Sea Habit or Charlies Airhead fly of the same size.

Carl Blackledge
12-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Years ago I tied my tandem hooks with wire harness, every time I hooked a fish they bent the wire up so bad I had to replace the harness (rig) You could try to straighten it back however it was never right again (wouldn't run true) I switched back to mono and haven't had that problem since...just my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge