PDA

View Full Version : Indicator Tactics For Winter Bass

Ryan
12-01-2015, 11:39 AM
I know not everyone likes using indicators, and I totally understand why. But I’ve figured out a way to extremely productive bass days all winter long, and I’d like to share what I’ve learned. Figured this is the perfect place.

Guys in the tournament community do this all the time when the water temps drop. It’s called a “Float and Fly” rig. It’s cool to hear about Bass tournament guys tying flies… I went into a local bass shop here and when the worker realized what I was doing, he took out his phone and started showing me pictures of his ties. This guy was not a fly fisherman, but a very serious bass angler. Just a little food for thought!

I did a write-up recently on my website about these tactics, and I figured this would be a good place to share. It’s not a short and sweet write-up, rather long and technical, but there is a ton of information in there, broken into sections, with a diagram and pictures as well. I also have regular bass reports and pictures on my site too for those who might be interested. Here’s the link to the write-up.

http://www.flyfishcnv.com/indicators-for-winter-bass.html

I’d love to hear some feedback! No intent on starting an indicator vs swinging war though! Haha.

Idadon
12-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Right on with your statement that this concept is not new. I used a variation when I was a kid in the Delta and Clear Lake back in the fifties & sixties. Sometimes with a big popper and a small streamer underneath. Worked really good, especially in Clear Lake when there was big crappies around. My dad usually took the back hook off a topwater plug and dropped a big (usually white) streamer a few feet back. He threw this with an old Pflueger baitcaster. Wasn't unusual to catch two bass at a time or a bass crappy.

It worked good back then, no reason it shouldn't still work. Try it in the delta when there are stripers around. If they think another fish is about to catch something....well, that bottom fly gets very desirable. I never tried dead drifting, like with midge nymphs, for bass though. Usually gave it some movement. But I've got a lake full of smallies close by.

Spicytuna1
12-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Good Stuff Ryan I like it. Might have to talk my brother into heading up to Bullards with you.

Hopefully you can swing the Bass deal weekend before memorial and stick around for the weekend this time.

Ryan
12-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Idadon, that cool you've used this before! I plan on tying up some topwater flies to drop the jig flies off, it's on my "Tying To Do List" already. Your info on the 2 fish at a time is pretty re-assuring! I don't really use nymphs though, so far I'm only using baitfish imitations on a weighted jig hook. The Delta is too far away for me to fish regularly, so that's up to you locals there to truly put it to the test. I almost guarantee it will work for those who try. I'm sure it will work for river and delta stripers as well. I haven't messed around with this for stripers yet though, but I plan on doing so for sure. I'd love to try it on Clear Lake as well! Along with Almanor and Trinity Lake for Smallies. If you get into any Smallies with this I'd love to see a report!

Thanks Dave! I'd love to get you guys out to Bullards this Winter. I'm gonna put the event on my calendar, it's just really hard for me to commit to things lately. For the first trip I got no sleep the night before because I was excited, and I had a trip in Anderson the next day Haha. Every time I make plans something important always seems to pop up. I'm gonna do what I can though for sure! I know its a really cool event with some great fisherman.

golfish
12-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Awesome Ryan, sounds like you're getting it dialed. You should try the Airlock indicators rigged like Tim Rajeff shows here, been using them for trout/steel when I can't swing, has worked well so far.

https://vimeo.com/110832384

Also, been killing the stripes in the Napa from the yak, thanks!

---ted

Ryan
12-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks Ted! I'll give those indicators a shot. I've used them but not like that. 90 degree rig with stronger line could do good! Good to hear your getting into fish on the Napa too! Such a cool place. Props on getting it done with the Kayak too!!

Lance Gray
12-03-2015, 06:37 AM
Years ago when I owned Saltwater Innovations we designed and built an offshoot of my Lance's Crystal Popper and sold them to Bass Pro. They where called Lance's Shadow Popper. Basically the popper was the float, bobber, indicator what have you. Extending from the rear of the popper hook was a wire eyelet that you could attach a tippet too and run your dropper fly off of.

We sold tens of thousands of them. Bass anglers ate them up. Then the gulf coat guys went hog heaven for them for all types of drums. Most gulf guys placed our spoon underneath it.

I also amazed how tactics are recycled or discovered by other anglers in hopes to catch fish!

Walton Powell a mentor of mine used a red and white bobber with a shad fly with a white piece of pig rind underneath it too catch bass out on the Sacramento River. We even sold the rind in the fly shop!

Ryan great article! It's a proven tactic that I use all the time on my water - Stoney Gorge and East Park. Maybe we can hook up and I can show you the lakes!

Ryan
12-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the info Lance! Cool to have recycled a tactic. Worked then and still does! Haha. I’ve still yet to try it on the Sac when the temps are cold enough. My success in warmer temps has been really limited with it. Can’t wait to try it this Winter though for sure. And I’d love to hit your water with you! Give me a heads up next time your heading to either and I’m sure I’ll be able to work something out.

gene goss
12-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Ryan ...... thanks for sharing the float N fly fishing tactic, i have a question about those great flies you tied up, does it have to be a balance fly?

Ryan
12-04-2015, 07:54 PM
Thanks Gene! I do like using flies that balance out. I'm sure its not really completely needed, but that's what I've been using. Overall, I haven't found the Bass to be too picky as far as flies go, so I'm sure anything that looks fishy dangling in front of their face will produce. I haven't tried Balance Leeches yet either, but I know those would be a great option for those who already have some.

gene goss
12-13-2015, 04:11 PM
I like the look's of your fly Ryan, so i tied a balance one up.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w300/eugene047/DSCN1698_zpsh3ioanvp.jpg (http://s179.photobucket.com/user/eugene047/media/DSCN1698_zpsh3ioanvp.jpg.html)

Ryan
12-13-2015, 08:25 PM
That fly is going to kill! Awesome tie and great idea for the balance. I can't wait to hear how you do! The flash and chartreuse will really excel in stained water.

MTaylor
12-14-2015, 11:08 AM
Sort of a different genre of "fly", but might work with this technique. Fly rod spinnerbaits are easy to make and can be quite effective at times. The spinner blades will rotate at extremely slow retrieve rates. I plan on giving them a try.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-14-2015, 12:38 PM
With the lower winter water temperatures in the Delta our staff member Jim Christensen uses an Intermediate clear slow sinking full line with a longer lighter streamer that has soft material giving it more action to stimulate the fish more. Jim will find schools of Stripers and schools of bait together where he puts his slow sinking rig down to their depth and move it slowly through the schools.

I am recommending you use materials on the 'winter bass fly' that have more movement like marabou and/or rabbit strips.

Ryan
12-14-2015, 09:03 PM
Those spinner baits look great MTaylor. The light blades being able to move at a slow rate makes allot of sense. Seems like a good largemouth attractor, but I’m sure spots and smallmouth will destroy those too.

Bill, Thanks for the GREAT knowledge as always. Your info is spot on. Biggest Spotted Bass I’ve seen take a fly was at Bullards, on a tie utilizing almost 100% rabbit strips. We kind of thought it was a fluke, and began tying with more synthetic/stiffer materials in an attempt to match a more realistic look. But after reading your post, it really gets me thinking, and I now realize that big Spot was not a fluke… I’m gonna have to bring back the rabbit strips to my arsenal for sure. If I were going to use Marabou for Indicator flies though, I’d use a hefty amount because they get torn up real fast.

Finally got some time to do some personal fishing, so I’m gonna fish Oroville tomorrow, and I’ll give the Intermediate rod a shot with the tie I just did after reading your post (pictured below). Thanks again Bill!

I'm tired of getting low fish numbers or worse the skunk on the Feather lately. So I’m goanna start heading to the Lake and fight bass until my arm is soar :)

Ryan
12-23-2015, 10:51 PM
Float and Fly has been getting it done lately! Anyone tried it out yet? The Lake is finally moving upwards which feels good to see. And here's some pics. Rabbit strip indicator flies worked really well today too. Tried some old ones out again after reading your advice Bill.

Morgan
12-24-2015, 07:48 AM
I need a few more of these bobbers...our shop doesnt have them. Any spot online i could grab a dzn of diff sizes? Feel free to pm me.

Ryan
12-25-2015, 11:38 AM
PM sent with a link.