PDA

View Full Version : 8ft aluminum pram ???

Idadon
11-19-2015, 09:36 AM
I have an 8ft aluminum SeaKing pram. My Dad gave it to me in the late 80's. I remember him having a pram in the 50's and fishing the Eel, Smith and other North Coast rivers when I was a kid. Thought this was that original pram but a buddy insists that they didn't make Aluminum boats back then. I think it's the same one but just not sure. I have vague memories of a wooden pram that I used when I was a kid. It doesn't have a plate on the boat so I am wondering if anyone might know anything about this little boat. It's 8' long and has a 40" beam and is about 12" deep. It's pretty easy to pack around so would guess the weight at less than 50lbs.

I tried it once and it was very unstable in the water and tough to maneuver with oars. I gave it to my son in the mid 90's and he used it to hunt ducks. He painted it camo. I have it back and since I spend my late summer and fall on the north California, southern Oregon coast I'd like to use it, maybe with some kind of outriggers. It's light enough to carry on top of my SUV and still tow a RV.

Question is this; how much weight can a boat like this carry safely? I'm 6'5" and 225lbs and honestly the boat feels tiny to me. I've owned drift boats for years so I'm pretty competent on the water but I'm also 66 years old and not looking for any trouble. I left this boat home this past fall but wished I hadn't. I plan on spending early August in Gold Beach, then a month down on the Klamath followed by a few weeks in the Grants Pass area. Should I take this pram or just be satisfied with wading?

L Kenney
11-19-2015, 11:07 AM
I had the 10 foot version of that boat twenty years ago and sunk it twice. A friend who's a bit shorter than you has an 8 footer and uses it happily but he's either better balanced or smarter than I am. Probably both. Might be fine on stillwaters, but it's just too squirrely a boat to move around in safely in moving water. Anchoring from the bow in any current and pulling an even mildly stuck anchor is a recipe for the sort of adventure I'd sooner avoid.

Idadon
11-19-2015, 05:39 PM
I'm really thinking that I am to big/heavy for such a little boat. Just not enough beam or freeboard. if it didn't have sentimental value would just sell it. Maybe just put it back in storage.