PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Mammoth Lakes next week

left field
11-16-2015, 05:07 PM
I know there are a few rivers or sections open, but is there any point in bringing a rod?

I'll be with a 10-year-old and would love to help him get his first trout.

Thanks.

Larry S
11-16-2015, 05:30 PM
@left,
Fish are moving from Crowley up into the Upper Owens; check the reports on "sierradrifters" - Tom Loe's site and
the "troutfitter." Easiest access would be at the bridge where the Benton Crossing Road meets the river. Find this road
south of Mammoth Lakes about 8 miles. Look for the old "green church." Regulations do not permit fishing below the bridge.
With the recent rains/snows, the ground could be quite soft/mushy. Good luck and have fun.
Best,
Larry S

left field
11-16-2015, 07:53 PM
Thanks, Larry.

So it look like the only open water is Hot Creek and certain sections of the U Owens. Is the L Owens is closed? The Gorge? Never fished the latter.

It's been awhile since I've been there, but can we get by without waders?

Larry S
11-17-2015, 05:29 AM
@left,
Check Loe's "sierradrifters" site or the troutfitter for Gorge and Lower Owens info. Should be open.
Regarding the Upper River, if you park and fish near the bridge, you should be able to do without
waders.
Best, Larry

cdevine
11-18-2015, 05:45 PM
@left,
Check Loe's "sierradrifters" site or the troutfitter for Gorge and Lower Owens info. Should be open.
Regarding the Upper River, if you park and fish near the bridge, you should be able to do without
waders.
Best, Larry

I just got back from that area last week. I fished a few of the waters mentioned. Here is the deal.
1. Upper Owens - Above Benton Crossing. Some fish are moving up from Crowley but its been really slow. I talked to several guides and both said the same thing. Prepare to walk a lot. Good access right now. A little snow on the ground. (crystal leeches, SJ worms, egg patters). I caught a few nice residents but none of the big ones.

2. I fished the gorge the next day. I consider myself in very good shape. I'm a pretty active trail runner. I wouldn't even think about going down there if you aren't in good physical shape. I have a garmin GPS and it was 800 feet down from the rim. Once you get down there you are traversing around boulders and this needle like brush. I can't recall the name but its nasty. It fishes like a spring creek. Flows are in the 40's and water temps aren't much better. 45-48 degrees. Awesome 2-3wt stream. All wild browns in the 10-12" range. I've heard of fish up to 15" inches but I didn't get any. All mine were little guys but rockets. Small Indo with size 18-20 PT's, Trico's, Hares ear.

IF you like isolation then Gorge is calling you. I didn't see a soul. But that sort of fishing isn't for everyone.

You can also read up on the middle owens which I didn't make it too. The high elevation stuff is frozen over now and done for the winter. The west walker on the way over actually had a little more h2o in it. I believe its open all winter now w/ special regs.

You would be crazy not to bring waders. Its about 14 degrees in the morning and there are spots where you have to cross the upper owens. Its not deep but who wants to walk in ice cold water. Flows are pretty low and be very stealthy. Fish like to hang under those banks.

Good Luck!

Larry S
11-19-2015, 08:05 AM
@cdevine,
Great report! You might have run across a friend of mine last week - white Subaru Outback. He fished both
the Upper O and Crowley @ North Landing. He had moderate success at both places.
Best,
Larry S

cdevine
11-19-2015, 07:35 PM
@cdevine,
Great report! You might have run across a friend of mine last week - white Subaru Outback. He fished both
the Upper O and Crowley @ North Landing. He had moderate success at both places.
Best,
Larry S

Larry-

The folks I talked with were super nice. Small world and the subaru sounds familiar. No funny looks or anything. We just scratched our heads and both looked a little worn out from walking. Ha ha… I think they got into some nicer fish than i did. What a beautiful area. I got an opportunity to hike to some of those small remote lakes earlier this year surrounding Mammoth. That was awesome. I've read good things about Hot, Rush, and Mcghee Creek but I haven't had a chance to fish any of those. Like the western sierra the drought has taken its toll.

Larry, best of luck out there. Weather should be nice until mid tuesday-Wed according to the reports.

left field
11-19-2015, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the tips. Never fished the gorge - could I do so by rock hopping? Pain in the ass to fly waders and boots in for one day. Maybe I can rent at troutfitter.

Fly Guy Dave
11-20-2015, 07:44 AM
The plants that cdevine is referring to are the stinging nettles, which are indeed nasty if you brush up against or grab them. Plenty of it down in the Gorge, but easy enough to avoid if you know what it looks like. The Gorge is a place where you will find very solid fishing for wild browns and if you have any company, it will usually be from rock climbers, not other anglers. Since the water down there is so small, I would wager you could get by without using waders.

stickboy
11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
IMHO pleasant valley would be the best place for you and your son. It has a stream that turns into a river that ends up in a reservoir. Lots of options there. Flies lures and even bait is fair game. Good luck

left field
11-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Thanks, stickboy. That's the Lower Owens? Will check it out.

stickboy
11-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Pleasant Valley Reservoir

Pleasant Valley Reservoir is located about 8 miles north of Bishop off Hwy.395. It can be accessed on either the north or south end and has a paved service road that parallels the lake end to end. You may not drive on this road but it makes walking with a float tube easier. Bait and barbed hooks are allowed here year around, limits change with seasons, and it can get very crowded on holidays & weekends due to easy access and heavy planting by the DFG. PV can be defined as “three fisheries in one location”

The lake itself is not the prettiest still water in the Sierra but it is the true tail water to Crowley Lake and is considered a “buffer” type reservoir that is used by the LADWP for hydroelectric powergeneration. The north end of the lake has a parking area that is situated right next to the powerhouse and just downstream of this area is a fertile trout fishery that has planted rainbows and wild brown trout in good numbers. The small river section is less than a mile long but resembles the East Walker River in many ways. Its rocky bottom and aerated water make an ideal habitat for trout. This section is heavily lined with willows and can be difficult and dangerous to access with high flows when power is being generated. When flows are low this section is the ultimate place for fly fishers using a dry/ dropper bead head nymph combo, or mayfly and midge adults for surface action. Long riffles and pocket water are common here and good casting from a downstream position is the best approach. I suggest studded wading boots and a staff as there are slippery rocks throughout this section.

The “transition” section between the lake proper and the moving water can be the sweet spot depending on the level of the reservoir which changes frequently and with out any pattern. Here you may find numerous pods of feeding trout foraging on the abundant aquatic insects that emanate from Crowley and the rocky river bottom itself. The picture above illustrates this section. Good casting and perfect “dead drifts” are needed to fool the wild and holdover fish here. Midges and mayflies come off during the fall, winter, & early spring months when flows are typically lowest and power generation is sporadic. We guide this often under the right conditions and it is a super place to get into big numbers of fish with indicators or dry/dropper combo rigs.

Float tubing the lake proper is best during the cooler times of the year as well. The DFG plants rainbows near the “launch ramp” located near the middle section of this narrow stillwater. During the cooler months great fishing can be had here from a tube and I have affectionately nick named this craziness “freeze tubing”. If you decide to tube in December you will see why! Heavy full sinking fly lines are needed to get the streamers down at least 10 feet for action when it is cold. Still water nymphing is also highly productive during periods of chironomid emergence, and we have nick named this location “little Crowley” because it fishes very much like its big brother to the north. Stick along the drop-offs on both sides and near the inlet for a shot at a 50 fish day.

Now Featuring Video Clips and “On the Spot” Fish Reports on Facebook and YouTube…

Now Featuring Video Clips and “On the Spot” Fish Reports on Facebook and YouTube…

Search

Search

left field
11-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Thanks for that, stickboy.

left field
11-24-2015, 07:02 AM
The kid (nephew) decided to go skiing instead so that left me to fish alone.

Hit the UO for a few hours. Pretty spot. 9 fish on, 6 to the net. Three of those were on dry flies as there was an hour long hatch midday.

May try again today if the storm holds off.

cdevine
11-25-2015, 07:15 AM
The kid (nephew) decided to go skiing instead so that left me to fish alone.

Hit the UO for a few hours. Pretty spot. 9 fish on, 6 to the net. Three of those were on dry flies as there was an hour long hatch midday.

May try again today if the storm holds off.

Nice job! Its been a little thin in there this year. Any big boys or smaller guys? Keep walking if you don't find fish. (sounds like you did). Absolutely stunning huh?

left field
11-25-2015, 11:45 PM
A 14" rainbow was the largest; 5" brown the smallest. I moved a lot and fished mostly nymphs. Had a small rod with me otherwise I would have tried a streamer through some of the larger holes and under the cut banks.

Yes, it is beautiful. I've fished all over including a number of exotic locations and the UO is one of the most spectacular spots I've ever stood.