PDA

View Full Version : Upper Sac fishing well, McCloud crowded as usual

StevenB
11-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Every year anglers head up to the Upper Sac and McCloud for the October Caddis hatch, every year they are disappointed because the fish are not on the caddis drys. Mostly that is because the anglers try for the hatch too early,
While the October caddis have been out and flying around since early October the fish were not eating the drys.

Well, it is on now. fish can be taken with large drys on both the Upper Sac and the McCloud.
However that still does not mean you will find the big drys working everywhere in the river.
The winter Baetis hatch is also going very good and you may run into fish that are eating size 16-20 BWO's instead of the Caddis. Partly that is a location issue. In the Upper Sac the baetis hatch is best down river while the Caddis hatch is best up river. However yesterday (a cold rainy day) fish were working the the baetis hatch right here thru town (Dunsmuir) in areas I would normally expect them to be on the Caddis. You gotta fish for what you see, not for what you expect.
Also cold rainy weather tends to put the Caddis off, they may not come out of the trees for the afternoon swarming action if it is too cold and wet. On the other hand, a cold wet morning followed by a dry slightly warmer afternoon can produce in incredible Caddis action.
I have been broken off three times (on 3X) by big fish on the Caddis dry in the last 2 weeks, the big guys are definitely coming out to play. (Yes, I do know how to play big fish, but sometimes they win anyways, sometimes it's a knot that should have been retied, sometimes it is a error on the anglers part (like the one I did a tuna haul on because I got a little excited) and sometimes it is just bad luck)

johnsquires
11-09-2015, 07:54 AM
And would we want the situation to be that every time you hooked a fish you landed it? I suspect many of us would say no. I seem to be trailing in the game as far as big fish go.