PDA

View Full Version : help with line selection

ryanv829
11-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Just purchased an 11' 6 weight Redington Prospector switch rod (my first 2 handed rod) and I'm looking to buy some line to swing flies on rivers like the feather, yuba, and american. Im looking at the rio skagit max short or the scandi short but am uncertain which head weight to get. On Rio's spey line recommendation chart for the skagit max short they list 2 recommendations for this rod. For more experienced casters they suggest the 325 grain head, and for more novice casters they suggest the 375 grain head. I'm worried that their recommendations are too light. On their website, the 325 grain head is listed as being for 4/5 weight rods. What do you guys think? Should I just split the difference and go for the 350? And also, for the rivers I listed, would I be better suited with the scandi short or skagit short?

Idadon
11-08-2015, 07:00 PM
I tried my new 6wt 12' this fall on the Rogue. Spent months trying to figure out what line to get but finally gave up and bought a "Switch" made by Rio. I also bought 3 versa leaders. System worked OK but wasn't impressed. Eventually went back to my single hand 5wt and spent my time nymphing. I'm relatively competent with a full Spey outfit, 15' 10/11wt so could be that I just suck with a switch rod. Might be I bought a crappy rod (Cabelas) or the line and rod just didn't match up well. Maybe I didn't give it enough time, just hate to waste good fishing time experimenting. Could be that there are just to many factors to figure out quickly. I will say that using the fast sinking versa leader felt better than the floating, but not a lot.

I think I'll keep searching but in the meantime I'll have my single hand rod close. Good luck and find someone that will let you throw theirs if you can

Bwag
11-08-2015, 09:14 PM
Up until last winter I was fishing an 11'6" Z-Axis 6 weight. I had a 375 grain rio skagit and used the rio t-8 mow tips and I could cast that pretty well. The problem I had was once winter came and I got on a bigger river with heavy flies and needed heavier tips, I just couldn't turn them over. Actually had my best trip ever on that set up on the Rogue last November however I was casting a lightly weighted fly. Still have that rod and set up but enjoy casting my 13'1" 7 weight much more, especially since I primarily fish larger rivers excluding one in Winter...

As far as skagit or scandi, I just started using a scandi this summer. I could cast 11' of t11 with it but that was without a weighted fly, I was fishing mid day and wanted to get down, 99% of the time I was casting the scandi line with a rio floating versileader. I wouldn't use a scandi in the late fall/winter or when you really want to throw heavy flies. You can get it done year round with only a Skagit, but after throwing a scandi line this summer, it was a nice break to strip less line, lighter line and throw it farther. I will definitely be using a scandi in the summer/early fall.

I'm sure someone will come along with some more detailed information. If I were in your shoes and had the ability, I'd head over to Kienes and let them rig up your rod/reel and cast a few different lines. Once you get it dialed it's one less thing to worry about or consider if you are having problems casting you can at least rule out your set up.

Nate Bailey
12-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Just purchased an 11' 6 weight Redington Prospector switch rod (my first 2 handed rod) and I'm looking to buy some line to swing flies on rivers like the feather, yuba, and american. Im looking at the rio skagit max short or the scandi short but am uncertain which head weight to get. On Rio's spey line recommendation chart for the skagit max short they list 2 recommendations for this rod. For more experienced casters they suggest the 325 grain head, and for more novice casters they suggest the 375 grain head. I'm worried that their recommendations are too light. On their website, the 325 grain head is listed as being for 4/5 weight rods. What do you guys think? Should I just split the difference and go for the 350? And also, for the rivers I listed, would I be better suited with the scandi short or skagit short?

If you are looking Skagit, the Airflow Skagit switch is my favorite for short rods. I haven't used the prospector but my 6 wt likes the 420.