PDA

View Full Version : Truckee River updates?

PV_Premier
11-07-2015, 12:20 PM
What is going on up at the Truckee these days? I guess the flows are up a bit and the water has cooled down, has the fishing heated up? I have heard a few decent reports from the area around and below Hirsh, but nothing consistent.

Tempted to try it next Friday pending the weather.

Frank R. Pisciotta
11-07-2015, 04:33 PM
As for Truckee area fly fishing; IMO, always read on-line blogs, posts & reports with a "grain of salt"...some more than others. I read one recently that was definitely an embellishment as to what is actually happening.

Frank R. Pisciotta

sierraangler
11-08-2015, 11:02 AM
I've had mixed results lately. Been down into the middle of the canyon the last 3 weekends - Farad twice and yesterday a little further down yesterday. Basically where the flows are higher and there is more pocket water. 3 weeks ago, a week before the first storm, it was on fire (for the Truckee), landed about ~5 fish and had at least 6 other grabs. Small Baetis and mayflys.

Last Sunday was slower, only got one large rainbow on a streamer, but did have a few other grabs on the Baetis, played one other very feisty fish for 5 minutes before he spit the hook.

Yesterday was downright dead - only one fish between the two of us on a Baetis fishing about 3hrs. The water has cooled significantly in those three weeks with the cooler temps and snow and I'm sure that has slowed things down a little, but there is still good fishing to be had.

yFly10
11-08-2015, 09:47 PM
PV, give the T a break. Wait till the flows are 300 plus at least. Give the fish a break its been a long summer, with little water. The fish will thank you in the long run..

cdevine
11-09-2015, 03:58 PM
PV, give the T a break. Wait till the flows are 300 plus at least. Give the fish a break its been a long summer, with little water. The fish will thank you in the long run..

SierraAngler- that is a good report and things seem to be slowing. Winter is here. Water temps are way, way down. 45-50 degrees depending on daytime. That hasn't been an issue in a long time. Flows a little over 100 in canyon with more h2o coming. Looks like winter just might be promising this year. I was out a couple weeks ago but haven't been back. Its thin with some ok pocket water in spots.

I'm heading down to eastern sierra. Here is a decent rainbow I got in the canyon on my trip.