PDA

View Full Version : KIENE's Bargin Bin

Tony Buzolich
11-05-2015, 08:57 AM
Yesterday I stopped by Kiene's to pick up a new line for my 8 wt. and had already decided on Rio's Tropical Redfish line as it had everything I wanted. Though a bit pricy it seems all newer lines, whatever the brand, seem to be up there. I picked out the line and took it to the front counter and continued to wander around looking at everything else.

Gary came up to say hi and asked if I'd looked at their "bargain bin? We walked over to the back of the store and there were hundreds of lines in all sizes everywhere. Geez! Not only lines but they had all kinds of other gear there as well.

I started rummaging through the boxes and saw what I though should have been on the front shelves with all the newest stuff. Most were simply last year's models. Some were still in the same boxes they have on the front wall. Some were noticeably in older boxes, but still NEW and ALL seemed marked down at least 50% off the original sticker price which was still on the box.

I ended picking up a NEW Rio Tropical Tarpon line in the newest currently printed boxes Rio makes. Original price on the box was $79.95. Bargain Bin red sticker price was "$39.95...!!!

I really wished I needed more of something but my wife was waiting outside in the car and we had other errands so I didn't dig around too long in their trays.

For you guys out there getting started, or anyone, you've got to go look at the Kiene's Bargain Bin first before browsing around the rest of the store. I wish I "needed" more of something :)
Tony

Sheepdog8404
11-05-2015, 09:39 AM
HA! Tony, what you have just described explains every trip I make to the fly shop. There's so many great lines In that bin! Almost makes me want to buy a bunch just to have as backups. I picked up a pair of waders and boots from that section a couple weeks ago. less than $200 out the door!!! Tell you what, that section is what makes me end up broke at the end of the month. Hopefully some guys needing some new gear can get in there and take advantage of those deals before they're gone.

MickeyFinn
11-05-2015, 11:33 AM
That sad truth to this positive post is Kiene's paid $39.95 for that line from Rio. They made zero dollars on that sale and likely lost money in the end.

Tony Buzolich
11-05-2015, 03:17 PM
By the same token, even if that is what they paid for it, it now becomes positive cash flow for the store. It's better to turn your inventory and stay on top with the newest products, rather than let older product get stale and die on the shelves.
Tony

johnsquires
11-05-2015, 04:20 PM
And they have a happy customer and got some good press.

StevenB
11-07-2015, 04:34 PM
Yep, kinda like the three rules in real estate but different:
The three rule of retail are Turns, Turns and Turns.