PDA

View Full Version : DIY Alaska Float Trip

johnsquires
11-03-2015, 09:34 AM
I have been contacted recently by a few folks with questions on how to put together this kind of trip. As a result, I have put together a new Power Point presentation on this subject. I realize it doesn't seem to makes sense that I'm telling people how to do it themselves, potentially losing clients in the process. But, as I've said before, I have a "real" job and I'm not in this for the money, I just love the wilderness, plus I always seem to find clients anyway (many of which are repeat clients).

I will be contacting fly fishing clubs myself about this presentation, but if you have a real interest in this type of trip, I suggest you contact your club and nudge them a bit, tell them you would like to see the presentation, and ask them to get in touch with me. They can e-mail me at jpscsr2001@aol.com.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-04-2015, 09:36 AM
http://www.rainbowriverlodge.com/home19/alaska-fishing-lodge-fishing-outfitters-in-alaska

I think Rainbow River Lodge has full fly out trips, guided/supported float trips and maybe unguided float trips?

They are a top operation so you might send them an email or phone them to get some help and prices.

johnsquires
11-04-2015, 10:53 AM
I am actually discussing some options with Chad of Rainbow River Lodge for next years' trips. And I used their float plane services in 2015. Chad and Devyn are great pilots and great guys. We will probably do some combo trips - Copper River float and then either float the Koktuli or do a couple of day-trip fly-outs or a cabin situation. RRL does have gear to rent for a DIY trip. However, there's a bit more to this kind of trip than just deciding to go and then renting gear and going (some folks have done just that and it turned into a disaster, literally), which is what a lot of my presentation will address.

amoeba
11-06-2015, 08:04 PM
I don't do fly fishing clubs, but I would like to hear your presentation, and I'm sure other club non-participants would also:

When you find a venue, could you please post again with the specifics (time/places)?

Perhaps Kiene's might be willing to host you?

johnsquires
11-07-2015, 09:32 AM
I haven't gotten in touch with too many clubs yet, but for the ones I have contacted, I'm working on three dates right now, so I'll post when I have dates certain.

It does make sense to do more presentations at venues other than fly clubs. I did do one for REI a while back, had a great turnout, and they loved it. I need to give that some more thought.

I would love to do a presentation at Kiene's. Maybe they would be interested since I will be working in conjunction with Rainbow River Lodge on a couple trips this year. Hopefully someone from Kiene's shop reads this and gives us an answer.

amoeba
11-07-2015, 08:17 PM
I sure hope so:

I've done some floats up there, but not in all areas - and I agree there's certainly "a bit more" that DIYs best know about to prepare for and tailor to their location. I look forward to attending one of your presentations...

johnsquires
11-08-2015, 06:26 PM
I have one date I can give you. I'll be presenting to the Shasta-Trinity club on March 9. Not sure where you are located and if that is too far. Maybe you could combine it with a fishing trip.

johnsquires
11-13-2015, 04:46 PM
amoeba, here are a couple more dates:

Jan 14 North Bay TU club. This is the do-it-yourself presentation.

Feb 23 Davis club. This is a presentation on the Koktuli River.

More dates to follow.

Unfortunately, no response from the Kiene's shop. Sorry.

amoeba
11-21-2015, 10:33 PM
amoeba, here are a couple more dates:

Jan 14 North Bay TU club. This is the do-it-yourself presentation.

Feb 23 Davis club. This is a presentation on the Koktuli River.

More dates to follow.

Unfortunately, no response from the Kiene's shop. Sorry.

I'll go to that one in Davis if you can provide time/location when you know; thx.

johnsquires
11-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Okay, I'll post time and location as the time for that presentation nears.

In the meantime, I have access to a small theater venue in Sacramento. I'm debating whether to rent the place and do a presentation there. I know wilderness fishing in Alaska is not for everyone, so I'll have to think about whether there would be enough interest to justify the cost (although it is a small venue and the rent is not very much). It just wouldn't look too good if there were 2 people in the audience.