PDA

View Full Version : Klamath steelhead 1944 & small Rogue river report

winxp_man
10-31-2015, 09:05 PM
So found a great silent video dated 1944. Fishermen fishing the Klamath in 1944 for steelhead... Awesome video and I have not seen it posted yet. If there is one reason I wish I were born back then is the hunting and fishing!!! So sad what has become of the steelhead and salmon!

On a short note went up to the Rogue River about two weeks ago.... Awesome time with my brother. A bunch of HP's but no adults. I did hook a chinook buck on a undertaker! Hahaha! at first I thought it was a real big summer/fall Rogue river steelhead! Ended up being a salmon he hit real good though!

Anyways here is the link ;)

http://youtu.be/Q55Jvjr_6QE

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-01-2015, 07:17 AM
Thanks for finding this wonderful old film.

I was lucky to be taken up there in the 1960s by old Joe Shirshac.

He started fly fishing the Klamath River here in 1952.

We are lucky to still have the mighty Klamath River.

We like to go there in Sept, Oct and Nov.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Notice they are driving on the wrong side of the road?

They were also casting left handed?

I think the film was reversed when it was converted to digital.

Also interesting it was in color.

I did not hear any sound.

Big Jim
11-11-2015, 10:15 PM
So found a great silent video dated 1944. Fishermen fishing the Klamath in 1944 for steelhead... Awesome video and I have not seen it posted yet. If there is one reason I wish I were born back then is the hunting and fishing!!! So sad what has become of the steelhead and salmon!

On a short note went up to the Rogue River about two weeks ago.... Awesome time with my brother. A bunch of HP's but no adults. I did hook a chinook buck on a undertaker! Hahaha! at first I thought it was a real big summer/fall Rogue river steelhead! Ended up being a salmon he hit real good though!

Anyways here is the link ;)

http://youtu.be/Q55Jvjr_6QE

wierd, everyone in the film cast left handed. Looks like they were driving on the left side of the road. no one uses a net. one guy drags a fish up on the rocks, sticks his hands in its gills, then releases it... you can see it floating away dead. one guy fishing in a tie... then the shot of about 30 fish strung out on a pole.... ah the good old days.

Rick J
11-12-2015, 07:53 AM
film is reversed. Great film!! What is sad is I still see many folks "catching and releasing?" as was done by the guy in the video. But great piece of pretty recent history