PDA

View Full Version : Putah Creek Is Chocolate Brown!

mattv-mcfly
10-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Went today to catch me a Putah bow! Sad to discover it was blown out.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

SeanO
10-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Looks like they changed the flows. Not sure where this gauge is??

http://www.kiene.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11308&d=1445389614

drdan
10-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Went today to catch me a Putah bow! Sad to discover it was blown out.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

The good news is that you can probably get away with a size 18+ nymph! I Think this probably going to be a lot more this due to the runoff of all the charcoal.

Rossflyguy
10-21-2015, 09:40 AM
I've seen it worse than that. I wouldn't fish the creek that low anyways.

Troutsource
10-24-2015, 10:45 PM
The Middle Fork of the American is also chocolate, as I discovered today when arriving to fish at Mammoth Bar. According to the warden, it's due to recent fires. Apparently some of the early season rainstorms have colored the tributaries, and he expected it to continue this way through most of winter. I guess the only positive out of this is that the rivers will get more nutrients/fertilizer -- but I'm no stream biologist (maybe it will suffocate the insects instead of providing more beneficial organic matter).

JasonB
10-25-2015, 08:31 AM
The Middle Fork of the American is also chocolate, as I discovered today when arriving to fish at Mammoth Bar. According to the warden, it's due to recent fires. Apparently some of the early season rainstorms have colored the tributaries, and he expected it to continue this way through most of winter. I guess the only positive out of this is that the rivers will get more nutrients/fertilizer -- but I'm no stream biologist (maybe it will suffocate the insects instead of providing more beneficial organic matter).

Both the South and Middle fork have been turning to muck after pretty much each rainy spell we've had since last winter. The Middle fork seems to get it worse than the South, probably due to the Rubicon drainage. The King fire will likely be affecting the sediment levels for more than just this winter. Unless of course the mythical "EL NIŅO" unicorn causes some major flooding throughout these canyons ... Otherwise, I would think it will take some time for all that sediment to work its way down through various creeks, streams, and reservoirs.
JB