PDA

View Full Version : help on fishing lower yuba....

jerole1978
10-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Hey everyone, tomorrow I'm going to give the lower yuba a shot, it will be my first time fishing this river and I'm just curious as to where exactly to fish. I've read it's good at daguerre dam but I'm just wondering do they mean from englebright to daguerre or daguerre and lower? I know your not supposed to ask a man directions to his favorite fishing spot but again I've never fished this river, just looking for a general area. Any help would be appreciated

PV_Premier
10-18-2015, 04:02 PM
dagguerre dam is 6 miles downstream of the highway 20 crossing. it's basically the western end of the trout zone, because below that there are stripers that will eat the trout. sure you'll find trout below dagguerre but not in the same numbers. dagguerre has a fish ladder that allows salmon and steelhead upstream. stripers won't go up a ladder.

north/east (upstream) of highway 20, the river is currently closed to fishing to protect spawning salmon.

one of the more popular access points is Hammon Grove Park on highway 20, about 4 miles downstream of the bridge.

mattv-mcfly
10-18-2015, 05:13 PM
Google is your friend.
http://www.troutsource.com/fly-fishing/river/yuba-river

jerole1978
10-18-2015, 08:25 PM
Thank you pv, I appreciate the help.

jerole1978
10-18-2015, 08:25 PM
Thank you matt, I appreciate it

SteelieD
11-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Hey everyone, tomorrow I'm going to give the lower yuba a shot, it will be my first time fishing this river and I'm just curious as to where exactly to fish. I've read it's good at daguerre dam but I'm just wondering do they mean from englebright to daguerre or daguerre and lower? I know your not supposed to ask a man directions to his favorite fishing spot but again I've never fished this river, just looking for a general area. Any help would be appreciated

How'd it go?

VinnySteel
11-08-2015, 08:30 PM
I'm interested how it went as well! Anyone been out there lately? I'd imagine the egg bite is shaping up nicely....

PV_Premier
11-09-2015, 10:10 AM
to be honest, my best days on the egg were the two weekends before Halloween. some guy stopped yesterday morning to brag to me that he had caught double digits in under 2 hours of fishing. not sure i believe it, but if it's true good for him. i fished from 7 to 11 and caught 4.

jerole1978
11-10-2015, 01:32 PM
I went last week and I didn't get a bite, but then again I'm still a beginner. I saw for other guys around and from the sound of it I think they might have got a bite or two. One bit of good news is that I did see salmon climbing the river. This was before the storm hit also so maybe the rain woke everything up.

jerole1978
11-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Sorry one more thing, I did read that some guides are doing great on the lower yuba so it might be they just weren't biting that day

PV_Premier
11-10-2015, 04:14 PM
keep trying out there jerole1978. the Yuba doesn't give up its secrets easily, and the nature of the bite/effective patterns vary greatly throughout the year, and even week to week at certain times of the year.

effective patterns 'throughout' the year include sculpin imitation streamers on the swing, and typical attractor/stonefly nymphs (copper john, birds nest, rubberlegs) under an indicator. there are specialized things that go on at specific times of year, that take a little bit of investigation and experience to really figure out and master (pinky and caddis hatches, BWOs, skwalas, and the egg bite). the best thing to do on the Yuba is spend as much time out there as you can, and spend as much time watching/listening to what the fish and bugs are doing as you spend fishing.

jerole1978
11-11-2015, 09:05 AM
Thank you pv for the info and encouragement. There's no quitting here. It's funny how fly fishing makes you take in your environment and surroundings, and , at least for me personally, gives you a new appreciation for the outdoors. I used to do alot of gear and bait fishing and I always enjoyed the outdoors. But fly fishing you have to take in the water, the bugs, the trees, the birds, etc...definitely an eye opener to wildlife and the outdoors.

bigfly
11-11-2015, 09:44 AM
Did several drifts in my boat on the Yuba a few days ago..
Seems to be fishier early and late in the day if it's blue sky.
Better if cloudy......
Caught fish on dries, on the bobber, and on the two handed swing.....
I don't fish eggs, but they were eating bugs........
Had the best luck when I found a pod of risers, and stalked on foot.
Patience is key.....they are a little spooky.
Getting a little boney (410cfs) for a boat, but wading/walking will get it done.
Good luck out there!

Jim

jerole1978
11-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Good to hear Jim, I'll try and get up there on my next couple days off

Salvage
11-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Good to hear Jim, I'll try and get up there on my next couple days off

It is helpful to shadow a more experienced fly fisher or hire a guide to learn holding waters and basic techniques. For a few years I did not have much luck consistently catching fish until watched a sharing fly fisher from my fly club and took a Lower Yuba River workshop led by Jon Baiocchi and Lance Gray. Don't get discouraged since the LYR can be tough at times but seek out help if possible.

VinnySteel
11-12-2015, 12:15 AM
Made it out to the Yuba today. The recent storms appear have brought more salmon up. They were everywhere compared to when I was there a couple weeks ago. As for the fishing, I managed to get a few in the net. Started in the morning downstream from the bridge where we found a nice pod of active fish feeding. We threw some BWOs at them for about 20 min or so with no luck. Frustrated, I noticed they looked to be feeding just below the surface so I switched to a big October Caddis as a "hopper" with a tiny little Baetis Emerger dropped off of it and to my surprise a nice 14-15 in bow came up and hammered the Caddis instead of my Emerger. Wasn't expecting it but fun none the less. Definitely the highlight of the day was once the sun started to set. There was an epic BWO hatch that lasted about 45 min, fish rising EVERYWHERE! We got a few takes and missed a few but to be honest the hatch was so heavy that every drift your fly was competing with 4 or 5 real mayflies in the same feeding lane. The trout could definitely be picky! It was a pretty awesome site to see. Did some nymphing as well but had no luck with the egg patterns. All in all it was a good day, I love the challenge of the Yuba, my dry fly skills are admittedly pretty weak but that's what draws me to this river, not very many places around here where you can get that much consistent action with dries and really work on casting to rising trout. So much fun!

John Sv
11-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Thinking of going tomorrow in the rain. Anybody fish today? Whatcha know?

SteelieD
11-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Fished today for about 3 hours. Couple of bumps and one real nice fish landed. Subsurface most of the day but saw a few risers as I was ready to leave. Tried but couldn't get a take.

It was a pretty nice day out there!

PV_Premier
11-14-2015, 09:30 PM
Fished Friday morning for just 2-3 hours. Got 2 both on the egg...and on the smaller end of my recent catches (one was 14, the other about 16) Saw a few BWOs out but not enough to get the fish going on them.