PDA

View Full Version : Charlie's Airhead is a very special fly........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-29-2015, 07:15 PM
http://www.americanflyfishing.com/Flies/Saltwater+Baitfish+Flies/Charlie%27s+Airhead.html

I was on a group trip to La Paz in May with Jay Murakushi and friends a few years ago.

After a couple of days of not doing too well I was having dinner with some of the group in La Paz.

Jim Christensen, one of the best salt water fly fishers I know, asked me if I was doing OK.

I said it had not been that good for me, yet.

He asked if I had any Airheads? I said No.....he said he would give me one.

It was the middle size #1/0 in brown over white.

Next 3 days I landed about 15 Roosterfish on it, up to about 15 pounds.

Funny, other than having a little tippet on the front and the barb crushed down, it still looks like new.

**If you are going to the salt water I would throw in a few Airheads.......

Terry Thomas
09-29-2015, 08:01 PM
Great fly, too bad they are no longer in production. It was very expensive to produce the molds and the decision was made to drop the fly. We do have have a few #2's left and a fair amount of 1/0 and 3/0. When they are gone... Charlie's Pole Dancer is also a very good pattern that is expensive to produce. It did make the cut this year, however, I have my doubts about future. Bass anglers pay upwards of $50.00 (and more) for some baits, but fly anglers are not in tune to those numbers. The big Pole Dancer has gone up to @$28.00. That is a lot of money and many anglers don't understand the time that it takes to produce one.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-30-2015, 08:28 AM
I will have to stock up on a few sizes.

Thanks Terry......

Mr T
10-01-2015, 04:34 PM
I've tried making both airheads and pole dancers with mixed results- after many many tries, I bought a pole dancer- the 3/0 version. Now to be able to cast that...!

Makes you appreciate the work it takes to build one- worth the cost!

Tony
10-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Funny,

I have caught a few fish on airheads but i have a number stripers ram them mouth closed

Darian
10-06-2015, 10:33 PM
Tony,.... I heard Charlie Bisharat say that his Airhead fly was intended to fish sub-surface (shallow or deep). Not sure whether he was referring to Striper fishing or not, tho. Is that how you were fishing the fly??