PDA

View Full Version : McCloud River - Ah Di Na Road Conditions?

mattv-mcfly
09-19-2015, 01:00 AM
So I've heard that the road to Ah Di Na was rough and a 4x4 high clearance vehicle was highly recommended. I only have a 2-wheel drive Camry and was wondering if I could make it down there.

Rick.H
09-19-2015, 09:07 AM
I haven't been there in a couple of years, but I have been several times and there were plenty of passenger cars / light duty SUVs the end of the road at the Nature Conservancy. If you venture off the main road to find a campsite, you may well indeed need 4 wheel drive however.

sierraangler
09-19-2015, 09:39 AM
So I've heard that the road to Ah Di Na was rough and a 4x4 high clearance vehicle was highly recommended. I only have a 2-wheel drive Camry and was wondering if I could make it down there.

2 wheel drive no problem. There are a couple of very short sections/turns that get a little rocky but not baby heads or anything you will bottom out on. If you take them slow with the right line you will be totally fine. Several passenger cars down there both times I've been, most recent over memorial day weekend this year.

mattv-mcfly
09-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Thanks. I was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to get there or get back. I'm going to try and fish it for the first time next week.

amoeba
09-19-2015, 02:34 PM
You should be worried:

It is a not a good road, with sharp rocks, ruts, and is a longer drive than you think - plan on at least an hour after the split between ash camp and ah-di-nah to get there with your low-lying rig. You will definitely bottom out your camry more than a few times but you will probably make it there and back if it is dry that day and you don't get a flat.

Pupa
09-19-2015, 04:36 PM
have done it many times with 2x (vw golf and honda civic). white knuckle experience but did not have any problems. make sure you have a spare or two however. last time we had a 4x and made it half-way down and 4 beers in before two tires got punctured simultaneously by a protruding shard hidden in the dappled shadows. had to drive back towards mccloud with one fully flat tire to find cell reception. eventually the tire abraded and had to be removed. rode on our rim for a few miles and then hitchhiked back to mccloud to reception and a tow truck who took us to shasta for wheel repair and tire replacement (next day). not a great way to start a trip. you'll be fine but keep your eyes on the rocks and go slow. good luck!

Scaughell
09-21-2015, 07:40 AM
you can make it down.

Recently went down in subaru impreza....I would not worry so much right now about have all wheel drive or 4x4. Ground clearance was the only issue. Probably similar in clearance to your camry. only area of real concern is about 3/4 of the way down there is a culvert that is a little hairy to cross when you have low ground clearance. Once you reach that point you are almost there so just go for it.

mattv-mcfly
09-23-2015, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I opted out of the McCloud because I heard there was a bit of run off. Went to the Trinity instead and got in on some nice half-pound action.
I will try to get down and fish the McCloud some other day.