PDA

View Full Version : Belize - gear talk

PV_Premier
09-17-2015, 03:57 PM
My wife and I are headed to Belize in February and I will fish for at least 1 1/2, or perhaps 2 full days, on the Turneffe Atoll.

I am a pretty avid trout/steelheader and have no saltwater fly gear whatsoever but do have several spinning combos. I'm trying to invest in an all purpose fly combo for the trip...something for bonefish/permit and small tarpon. My budget is around $500 including rod/reel/lines. I will get further use out of it on biannual trips to Florida, including a pending trip to the Keys in December where I would use it for snook, reds, and barracuda.

Any recommendations on where to start? Saltwater gear is a whole new ball of wax to me. As far as rods go, I was thinking an 8 or 9wt TFO Mangrove Series, perhaps with a Lamson Liquid 3.5...I like the Lamson "3 packs" to be able to get maximum versatility out of a single rig on this trip and in the future...but not sure how those reels would do in salt water. I also found a pretty solid deal on a Sage Response 9wt.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-17-2015, 11:10 PM
We would take any 9' 4 piece #7 to #10 line outfits you have to Belize.

#7-8 for Bonefish (90% of your fishing)

#8-9 for Permit

#9 for Baby Tarpon, Jacks, cudas, snook

#10-12 for adult tarpon

I fished there for about 30 years from one end to the other.

Redington Preditor fly rod series is very good.

Call Kiene's American Fly Fishing Company on Friday, Saturday or Sunday and run this by salt water expert Andy Guibord.

Toll free 1-800/410-1222

Open 7 days a week

We ship same day all over the USA

gitt
09-19-2015, 04:38 PM
I fished there for about 30 years from one end to the other.

Bill, out of those 30 years of fishing the length of the country, what would you say was your top three most memorable trips to Belize either for the fishing or culture?

Thanks in advance.