PDA

View Full Version : Fall Steelhead is unofficially here.........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2015, 09:00 AM
Hopefully we have seen the end of the triple digit heat in our Valley.

Next 10 day forecast is looking much better.

With the cool air this morning I am calling an unofficial beginning to the Fall Steelhead season.

Time to put your light outfit in your vehicle so you can fish the lower American River before or after work during the week.

**As forum members and local Half-pounder Steelhead junkies we will have to offer to take out Half-pounder newcomers out on the river to get them started off right.

Local board member and local Steelhead commando Mark Krandhold just took a new comer out this weekend and got him started in the right direction. Thanks Mark......

jerole1978
09-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Do you think they'll make it up to sailor bar with the river flows so low? If so, about what time do you think they'll start showing up? I'm a beginner so any info would help, thanks.

thepeacockspecial
09-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Do you think they'll make it up to sailor bar with the river flows so low? If so, about what time do you think they'll start showing up? I'm a beginner so any info would help, thanks.

There are no fish in the river. You don't need to fish it. :D j/k

I fished the evening a few days ago at Sailor Bar. Did not see any rises during that last hour before it got dark. I'd recommend fishing a few exits below. Overall, you won't know unless you go.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-18-2015, 09:08 AM
For us locals we can put our gear in our vehicles and go every morning and every evening for the next several months.

Right now the river is around 800 cfs which is too low but if you go out there now you will see what the structure really looks like.

My favorite flow is 2,000 cfs.......

jerole1978
09-18-2015, 10:42 AM
Yeah I tried sailor bar and negro bar Monday with no luck. I guess just keep on trying and hopefully we'll get some more rain and it will pick up. Hopefully

hwchubb
09-18-2015, 07:58 PM
I would fish, if at all, in the early morning. I haven't checked the water temps, but as warm as it felt wet wading at daybreak last Sunday at Rossmoor, I wouldn't be surprised if it's near or above 70. The afternoons might be lethally warm to fight fish, and there isn't any cold water reserve in Folsom at this point.

jerole1978
09-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Yeah hopefully some cooler weather and rain will come our way and push some fish our way

Mark Kranhold
09-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Water at sunrise last night was 69 degrees, scary warm! Last weekend below the bike bridge was 66. Beautiful night to be casting last night anyhow. Golden dorado in the American...lol

STEELIES/26c3
09-19-2015, 01:25 PM
Nice shots there Mark

I saw the first big Rubyspot Damselfly hatch last week while striper fishing and there's more squawfish/pike minnows in the river than I've seen in the last 25 years~

Mark Kranhold
09-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Thanks Mark ,I know I haven't caught one in years.. Thought we might of had control of them! This one actually fought well, thought it was a steelhead at first to I caught a glimpse of it. Those damsels sure are beautiful!!

jerole1978
09-19-2015, 05:59 PM
@steelies at the American river?