PDA

View Full Version : A good lower American River Steelhead fly for a new tier

MG Mason
09-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I know this question could probably have many answers but does anyone have a recommendation for what fly a new tier might have good luck tying both in terms of not being too hard to tie and also for catching Steelhead on the lower American?

Thanks,

Marc

Mark Kranhold
09-11-2015, 05:01 PM
For the summers , any soft hackle in tan and olive in 10-14. Keep some black ones mixed in for low light time, plus some woolies in black and olive in 6-8. For the winters in the colder months you could upsize your wooly a bit bigger. Look up egg sucking leech and that's all you really need in black or purple, don't tell anyone but don't forget your sculpin pattern too!:cool:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Mark is right on the money......he really fishes the river hard.

A #12 green caddis pupa is a good one.

I was hooked on Renegades for years.

Many years ago we used lots of small sparse size #8 and 10 Steelhead patterns.

The Brindle Bug was very popular...

I would tell people something the size of a honey bee.

Any #10, 12 or 14 nymph will probably work.

If we get a good run in September you could use a different fly every day.

MG Mason
09-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I had some materials that looked like I could use for sort hackles. The red and silver one is an attempt at an "Attractor" soft hackle. And the other is just a peacock body and guinea plumage hackle. I'm not sure in even using the materials right and I know they're finished pretty ugly but I'm a very new tier.

Scott V
09-14-2015, 10:20 AM
I caught my first steelhead on the American river with a clouser while striper fishing.

Mr T
09-14-2015, 11:08 AM
I'd fish em- the fish will let you know what they think of them! The first one looks like it'll get bit.

Darian
09-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Agree with Mr T, fish 'em. The second fly may be good later when the water is colder. Steelhead flies range so much in color/size/style that nothing seems to be beyond consideration.

Let us know how you do.... :cool:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2015, 08:45 PM
It is time to put your gear in your vehicle so you can fish before and after work for Half-pounder Steelhead in the Lower American River.