PDA

View Full Version : Report Card

Sheepdog8404
09-10-2015, 03:13 PM
This might be an inappropriate question for the forum and better suited for a Warden, but here goes... Do I need to get a Steelhead Report card if I am fishing the Lower American and will be SRICTLY catch and release? I thought the Card was only for anglers doing catch and keep but a recent conversation with another fisherman has be believing otherwise.

Tight lines,
Gary

Terry Thomas
09-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Simple answer: yes.

SebastianV
09-10-2015, 09:02 PM
This might be an inappropriate question for the forum and better suited for a Warden, but here goes... Do I need to get a Steelhead Report card if I am fishing the Lower American and will be SRICTLY catch and release? I thought the Card was only for anglers doing catch and keep but a recent conversation with another fisherman has be believing otherwise.

Tight lines,
Gary

CADFW likes to know the number of wild and hatchery fish caught, even if you plan on releasing hatchery fish.

SebastianV
09-10-2015, 09:03 PM
CADFW likes to know the number of wild and hatchery fish caught, even if you plan on releasing hatchery fish.

Plus they want $$$

Sheepdog8404
09-11-2015, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the help! I figured better to be safe than sorry.

Walter
09-11-2015, 09:46 AM

Sooner or later they are going to give somebody a ticket for not turning in the report card at the end of the year, and the resulting lawsuit will nullify the report card. Just like the demise of the Delta Bay Enhancement Stamp, if the money is going into the general fund and not to what the card is for then it can be declared invalid.

I never turn in my report card and I get the threatening notices in the mail and have never got a ticket. I dont want them knowing what I catch because "anything you say can and WILL be used against you." Anglers are loosing more and more opportunities to fish and the data is used against you. Trust me.

Dont send in the report card, in my opinion. But make sure you have one and fill it out BEFORE you start fishing. And at the end of the day. If you have blank spots from previous fishing days the Nazis will give you a ticket.

Rick J
09-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Also don't forget you need to fill it in before fishing!!!

JasonB
09-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Dont send in the report card, in my opinion. But make sure you have one and fill it out BEFORE you start fishing. And at the end of the day. If you have blank spots from previous fishing days the Nazis will give you a ticket.

I really have no comments regarding your opinions on how the data is used, but I do question the last comment here. I forget to fill my card out all the time, and I sometimes do go back in and fill it out, but not all the time. I've only ever met a warden while steelhead fishing 2-3 times that I can remember, and only once every while trout fishing; and "Nazi" seems to be a pretty far off comparison. All of my interactions were quite amicable, and reasonable; if anything I was surprised at how forgiving they were: one of them was when I had poorly pinched a barb while trout fishing on the East Walker (he asked me to crimp it a bit more), and one time where there was some confusion about wether or not the stream I was fishing was open to C&R fishing for Chinook (in the end he was pretty sure that it was in fact closed, and suggested other nearby options instead).

I sort of doubt a warden would write a ticket for having some incomplete information on your card while fishing, if it were clearly a case of it being an honest mistake and you were clearly making every attempt to obey all angling regulations. Obviously it is better to be careful and diligent about filling out the cards.
JB

Rick J
09-11-2015, 02:35 PM
agree with Jason. It is a sad thing when we as fisherman want to put our needs above those of these magnificent fish we are chasing. The more information we have on wild vs. hatchery populations the better in making sound scientific based decisions on ways to best protect the wild fish. As the poster goes: KEEP THE WILD WILD!!!

itsbenlong
09-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Hi Jason,

I can only speak from experience. I have met many nice wardens, partly because I was not breaking any laws. However, their are some that will definitely give you a ticket for not filling out the code and date.

I watched someone get a ticket last year for that one on the American.

2 years ago I got a $400 ticket for getting ready to cast a fly with a barb on it. I just put the fly on and dipped it in the water....I even checked it with a quick glance and it didn't look like the barb was there and out came a warden on the Klamath. I showed him the fly as if the barb was off, because I thought it was. He told me that was illegal and I told him that I "always" fish without barbs regardless of the regs. I also told him I checked it and thought it was off, which happened to be very small and difficult to see. I have never been one to take floss or something to check the hook, but probably should. I also showed him about 8 - 10 flies I already used that day that were still wet or damp and all of them were barbless. I was all alone, with minimal gear and 1 fly rod.....He still gave me a ticket.

I would never underestimate the kindness of a warden if you even accidently forget to do something correctly. Some will ticket you, some will warn you.....I guess its just a game of chance.

However, I am really good now at using hooks with smooth shanks and no barb......really good it at! lol

Walter
09-12-2015, 07:46 AM
agree with Jason. It is a sad thing when we as fisherman want to put our needs above those of these magnificent fish we are chasing. The more information we have on wild vs. hatchery populations the better in making sound scientific based decisions on ways to best protect the wild fish. As the poster goes: KEEP THE WILD WILD!!!

Sound science my foot. Ive been in the meetings and challenged the validity of "data" they collect and manipulate to serve their predetermined viewpoint in order to push a decision they advocate and need to justify.

If you dont think I am for steelhead read here:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?36205-Steelhead-science-for-anglers-Davis-CA&

My favorite is the wardens on the smith who believe the fly fisherman are all liners and they dont ticket the blatant belly snaggers because they are surrounded by 300 of them and they are afraid for their saftey. I've been told "fish dont bite they fly boy, fly bite the fish."

Same guy let a snagger off with a warning for a barbed hook.

I wish the money from Steelhead Cards went to Steelhead. Thats part of what I was saying.

Darian
09-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Seems like a small thing to fill out the card and enter the info on-line. Before it was automated, I used to fill the card out and routinely forget to send it in until I received "the letter". I really think they should try to do something about the length of the damn thing, tho. ;)

Nt absolutely sure but I think that one of the important bits of info DFW gets from the completed cards is catch per unit of effort (CPUE). Maybe an indicator as to how many fish are being caught during a specific period. Since there just aren't enough DFW biologists to survey every river/stream, it makes sense to try to enlist help from users....

At any rate, I always buy a card, even tho I've gone years without fishing for Salmon/Steelhead (maybe I will, again, this year) but never gave any thought to filling the card in before fishing. So, thanks for mentioning it.... :cool:

njbeast
09-12-2015, 12:13 PM
I have been contacted by DWF staff on three occasions on the American while swinging. All three were in kayaks and were very pleasant...never checked my card or license...one had a conversation with me for 30 minutes...nice guy. My only other contact was with two DFG surveyors at Steelhead riffle...they walked right through the area I was fishing with a buddy...very rude. I know that every time I have fished with a guide they would not let me in the boat until my card was completed...I have also received "the letter" and just fill out the on-line card...no muss no fuss.

Walter
09-12-2015, 06:31 PM
Of course I was rhetorically harsh with my nazi comment but Ive also had them walk right through my fishing area and then search all my stuff and then ask me about somebody else on the river who is right there across the river, all whispering if Ive seen that person do this and that. Put my saftey in jeopardy...wierd stuff. Ive cooperated with pleasant wardens. Ive also been harassed and accused of illicit behavior just because I was fly fishing. The warden calling me a lining snagger. I watch episodes about microspecs of barbs while other times blatant snagging goes unpunished because of lack of enforcement budget and many wardens dont want to live in the remote areas, ever been to the mouth of the klamath? I mean come on....

I just find it funny when little things bring the hammer down and the bigger things might not get enough attention sometimes. And it seems like the anglers are always getting the blame. It's frustrating.