PDA

View Full Version : Getting into the two handed / Spey world for Steelhead.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2015, 09:22 AM
90% of the drift boat fly fishing guides in California are using the indicator/nymph/egg system so they can get their clients into some Steelhead, get a tip, have return customers and pay their bills. All good.......

Some of those guides do let their customers swing flies if they are willing to settle for less hook ups daily.

A handful of Nor Cal SH guides actually specialize in swinging flies and mostly with two handed fly rods.

If you want to learn more about classic fly fishing methods for catching Steelhead you need to search for those guides.

Also the best months for swinging flies for more success are Sept/Oct/Nov.

*Personally I recommend trying the Klamath River for having more success because that river has Steelhead in all sizes from 14 inches to over 10 pounds. With lots of Half-pounder Steelhead you will have a chance of hooking something every day.

Winter months of Dec/Jan/Feb are good for catching larger wild Steelhead on a fly but odds are lower for success.

**This is just general info to help those who are trying to become a Steelhead fly fisher using classic methods.

Sheepdog8404
09-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Great post Bill! I just picked up my first 2 hand rod yesterday from the shop! Can't wait to get out and catch some steel on it.