PDA

View Full Version : Headed for the Deschutes, Guide Recommendations

aggie9
09-04-2015, 08:10 AM
i know it's pretty late to book a trip but fortunately I have found a handful of guides with open spots for early October. Anyone have any great or less than ideal experiences with guides on that river? Would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Would prefer to swing flies with a two-hander.

Thanks

Terry Thomas
09-04-2015, 08:30 AM
The crew at the Deschutes Angler are excellent! Have fished with most of them and they are quality guys!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Terry knows this well......John & Amy Hazel are top notch folks.

pcolkitt
09-05-2015, 10:35 AM
I had success and two good days with Evan at Deshutes Anglers.

Awood
09-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Choosing a guide is a lot like going on a date. It's all about compatibility; there's a lot of 1-1 time and you need to be open to maximize the experience.

Here's my pick in priority order:

1) Jeff Hickman - He's the man.
2) Travis Johnson - Very fishy, funny, and spey casting champion
3) Deschutes Angler Crew: Harley, Evan, Alex, and Steve - They are all good and probably spend more time on the river than anyone.
4) Marty & Mia Sheppard - Solid company; this team rocks
4) Chris O'Donnell, River Runner Outfitters - Chris is a great guy.

Good luck. October should be great.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Thanks Awood.........we appreciate your feedback......great list of top people.

October is too short.....we need two of them.

We feel guides are one of the most important parts of our fine sport of fly fishing.

We think going with top guides are one of the best investments that fly fishers can make.

If people will go with the recommended fly fishing guides, they will have better luck and learn good technique.

**It is all part of our evil capitalist plan.....after spending time with good guides they do well and will become "hooked" on fly fishing and become good customers for life.

NCL
09-06-2015, 05:50 AM
Sam Sickles at Steelhead Outfitters.

DAVID95670
09-14-2015, 07:04 AM
Brian Silvey is an excellent guide for both the sandy and deschutes rivers. Super nice guy to new comers. and designs some awesome flies http://www.silveysflyfishing.com/

Deep Canyon Outfitters are great with solid honest advise for non-locals. They put me into some fish and i never paid them a dime. And I live in Vantucky! Met them at an Orvis presentation they are Orvis Endorsed (not sure what that means but those folks are great). http://www.deepcanyonoutfitters.com/

visibility is about 12 inches wind was 26 mph Sunday on the bright side 45,000 salmon came over the dam and 5 500 steelhead were in the mix on Thursday!

Andy
09-14-2015, 09:30 AM
Second the vote of confidence for Sam Sickles/Steelhead Outfittters. Had great trips with him last 2 years. Hopefully the White River mud will settle down by Oct. Good Luck!

Andy

TaylerW
09-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Ted neeley, best guide I've ever fished with

ergabele
09-16-2015, 09:51 AM
Check with John Smeraglio at Deschute Canyon Fly Shop. These guys are friendly and don't act like they own the river like some guides. Last time I was there you could go with a drift boat or "drive-in" The drive in option is great as you get to learn the spots you can access yourself at a later date. I actually prefer to fish that river without a drift boat just because there can be so many of them on the river.