PDA

View Full Version : The Klamath... What a trip!

Bwag
08-31-2015, 06:13 PM
delete delete delete

SeanO
08-31-2015, 06:18 PM
Awesome fish and trip for you guys!

Got to love the translucent fins on those chromers.

Congrats,

Idadon
09-01-2015, 09:05 AM
I've been on the Klamath for about 10 days now. Staying down low so far, Klamath Glen area mostly. The only time I've seen any push has been last Tuesday & Wednesday. The two days that the gill nets at the mouth have to be removed. I wonder what kind of fishing this river would provide if the netting were to be stopped for a few years. When did this commercial stuff start?

rh crank
09-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Is it too early to fish the stretch between Seied and I-5? I'll be heading up I-5 next week but this will be my first time on Klamath. Any suggestions??

TaylerW
09-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Just check water temps. If the high is over 68 I'd say don't fish, but it's all up to you really

Blueracer
09-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Glad you guys had a great trip BW! Glad you were rewarded with some tugs! Your passion is obvious from your write up. Thanks for sharing. -Bryan

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-01-2015, 09:54 PM
You just have to go every chance you get and during your lifetime you will hit some of those fantastic trips.

cyama
09-01-2015, 10:20 PM
At this time of year it is fun to swing the Trinity fly shop muddler!!! If you driving across 299 stop at the shop and get a ton of em! Dry fly swinging is what it is all about. Swing it at Klamath Glen. So much fun. Nice job Brian!!

Andy Guibord
09-02-2015, 07:17 AM
Thanks for posting. Wish I was there now.

Bwag
09-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the good words everyone. Andy, you probably see quite a few people every year but about 4 years ago I spent a few hours on the American with you learning to Spey cast, for me, nothing beats swinging a fly with a 2 hand rod, thank you!

hwchubb
09-02-2015, 08:46 AM
Wow, what a great trip! The Lower Klamath remains firmly on my bucket list, been on it for 20 years and counting. You'd think I'd have found the time by now...
Thanks for the post, and letting some of us live vicariously...

Wayne

Reel Ventures on the Fly
09-02-2015, 08:51 AM
DPLee, where did you end up camping? Did you have any trouble with the locals? I have heard some horror stories of camping on the river.

M Duper
09-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Hey John, you're wrong. But I know everyone has opinions...

Dennis's book is the only book dedicated to the half pounder steelhead that's ever been written. His labor of love and passion shows in every page. if you know how to read, you'll learn a thing or two? If you like to tie, the fly patterns and recipes alone are worth any steelhead fisherman's time. It'll be compared to Trey Comb's book "Steelhead Fly Fishing"

norcal tom
09-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Mr. Reese you are truly a jerk what is your problem with Dennis his book is awesome an your a as$ hole stay in Oregon we don't need you down here

SeanO
09-02-2015, 11:06 PM
No fish ladder at Iron Gate dam. Good thing they are going to demolish it soon (there is good habitat upstream).

I assume there is a ladder at Iron gate dam. The regs can be hard to understand sometimes. The river goes on forever and I wonder where the fish are able to get to.

pvsprme
09-03-2015, 07:24 AM
Hey John, you're wrong. But I know everyone has opinions...

Dennis's book is the only book dedicated to the half pounder steelhead that's ever been written. His labor of love and passion shows in every page. if you know how to read, you'll learn a thing or two? If you like to tie, the fly patterns and recipes alone are worth any steelhead fisherman's time. It'll be compared to Trey Comb's book "Steelhead Fly Fishing"

Dennis gave a presentation recently at our club meeting. In addition to 30+ years as a fisheries biologist, including heading the California Steelhead and Salmon programs, he is an excellent tier, author and general good guy. He's probably spent more time on the Klamath than anyone in this discussion. The book is awesome and will be my Christmas present to myself. For someone with 36 posts to rip him for a minor disagreement is not what this forum is about. I agree that figuring it out for yourself is what it's all about, but the book is so much more than that. Keeping one's mind open is part of learning. I digress...............

Bwag
09-03-2015, 08:16 AM
delete delete

Rick J
09-03-2015, 11:45 AM
I agree with norcal about Mr. Reese - there are ways to politely disagree and make a point and then there are ways that he expressed his thoughts - way over the top and one of many reasons I tend to not post much anymore.

Do you need Dennis' book to catch fish? Certainly not - is it an interesting read - sure and as Dennis pointed out reading about fish is a fun thing to do in your spare time. I see no problem with Dennis suggesting his book is out there on a fishing forum!!!

Darian
09-03-2015, 12:23 PM
I have no interest in this debate except to say that in the past, board rules established that personal attacks were not to be permitted, especially those involving profane name calling and, also, by someone using a pseudonym for posting. IMO regardless of how he felt about John Reese' opinion, "norcaltom" violated those rules and owes John Reese an apology.

JasonB
09-03-2015, 12:41 PM
What a complete mess over a very nice post. If any apologies are due, I think they would be to Bwag for hijacking a great TR and sharing of information. I actually bristle a tiny bit at the volume of self promotion of Dennis' book, (though I certainly look forward to getting a copy myself). Regardless, there was absolutely no need to gripe about it they way John did; profanities or not the tone was pretty rude and attacking imo. There are plenty of ways to disagree, preferably in private rather than on a nice post like this. John's later comments were really out of line and unproductive; while I don't think name calling is ever really appropriate here I think it was spot on to point out he was being rude and out of line...

Tell you what, I'll offer my apologies, in the hopes we can move on:
Bwag, sorry to have dallied any further on this silly matter. Your post was awesome, and makes me wish I were there right now. Thanks for sharing some tidbits about an area that I would love to explore a lot more of, and I'm sorry for engaging in meaningless personal drama on your thread. Please post more, really enjoy reading what you have to say about your journeys... I can relate a lot.
cheers and tight lines,
JB

itsbenlong
09-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Bwag - Nice post - Hope all the static between this reply and your post doesn't stop you from posting again. You got my blood stirring with those pics. I love that area and have parked and stood where your truck is many times. Hoopa to Weitchpec, Weitchpec to Pecwan/Johnsons used to me my go to place to fish. However, I haven't been down there for a couple years because I wanted to start checking out the Happy Camp (north & south of there) area, which I love as well.

After seeing your post, I want to jump in my rig and head up there right now...lol

A couple years ago I had a similar experience where I just happened to hit all the right places at the right time. I ran into several other fisherman during the time I was there and the word out was the fishing was slow......I caught so many fish I couldn't even mention it. It was the first time I really felt in sync with the river and the fish while fishing for Steelhead.

Hopefully we get some rain in the next few weeks to really get those fish moving and spread out through the river. Hopefully!!!

Rick J
09-04-2015, 07:00 AM
So I do apologize to suggesting I agree with the personal attack using profane language but do feel that John's posts were a bit more inflammatory than necessary - and would ask if he had a book that talked about steelhead where would he advertise? What better place than sites that discuss fishing targeting an audience that might benefit from it.

I love to read books on fishing - just another way to enjoy the sport. Do I need to read them to catch fish - likely not but have I read books and watched videos that have made me a better caster and fisherman - absolutely. I would never say that I did this all on my own without help from others and from literature

to answer an original question on camping, I have camped many times on the river throughout the lower reach below Weitchpec and never had a problem with the Indians though have has some issues with bears

Andy
09-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Adrenaline fed attitude always precedes the run, its like clockwork. Casting is the only cure.

Any book that promotes the Klamath is as awesome!

I've never had a problem camping down low. Respect gets respect (a spare pack of Marlborougs, common sense and a six pack can't hurt either).

Terry Thomas
09-04-2015, 08:48 AM
OK, most of this has been pretty informative. Dennis is a friend and his book is worth the purchase price. We all know it is available and probably don't need to read more ads for the book. I do give John credit for using his full name. In the past, posters treading on thin ice have hidden behind code names. This forum has always been like a family. Sometimes family members disagree, let's just make sure everyone is treated with respect.

itsbenlong
09-04-2015, 04:37 PM
I usually do not say much when these posts get hijacked or sent off in a direction that has nothing to do with the person who originally posted it, although I often want to. However, this one has just gone on too far and it is really quite rude to the person who just wanted to share a great trip and show us some really nice photos and to those who are generally interested in what the post was originally about.

I would like to only suggest that this ends here and if anyone wants to continue just start your own post or better yet a Private Message.

I keep jumping on to see if anyone replies to it with content regarding the Klamath Trip and it is a drag to have to filter and weave through all the chaos.

Steelhead season is upon us....let’s share some good stories and have fun fishing. That is what this post should really be about.

JasonB
09-05-2015, 07:57 AM
I usually do not say much when these posts get hijacked or sent off in a direction that has nothing to do with the person who originally posted it, although I often want to. However, this one has just gone on too far and it is really quite rude to the person who just wanted to share a great trip and show us some really nice photos and to those who are generally interested in what the post was originally about.

I would like to only suggest that this ends here and if anyone wants to continue just start your own post or better yet a Private Message.

I keep jumping on to see if anyone replies to it with content regarding the Klamath Trip and it is a drag to have to filter and weave through all the chaos.

Steelhead season is upon us....let’s share some good stories and have fun fishing. That is what this post should really be about.

Well put, and agreed!
Please do keep the pics and stories and information coming. Any other "stuff" could easily be moved to another thread?
Thanks again for the great report Bwag, sounds like an amazing trip
JB

Jed Peters
09-05-2015, 08:20 AM
Awesome report and photos! Thanks for sharing!

TaylerW
09-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Just got back from campin in the same spot. No big pushes last few days

Terry Thomas
09-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Even after a polite hint, some people just don't get it! That individual is no longer a part of the group. Looking forward to a prosperous and positive steelhead season.
T.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Well, this has always been the category that attracts out spoken, ill mannered, opinionated, mean spirited people (did I get them all?) so if you can't be a gentleman or gentlewoman we will delete you from this wonderful forum.

**Thanks to all the wonderful people who have posted here.....we appreciate you.

norcal tom
09-07-2015, 08:24 PM
I will sorry for my language sorry if I offended any one loved the report