PDA

View Full Version : McCloud(y)?

GeoB
08-31-2015, 12:22 PM
Saw a photo from 8/17 here (http://www.mccloudflyfishing.com/fishingreports.html) that shows a very cloudy McCloud. Does it still look like that? I've got a couple of days to fish this week but won't make the 5 hr drive to McCloud if it looks like that.

Scaughell
09-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Fished the McCloud at the nature conservancy last Friday. Fishing was good and water was not too cloudy. moved up to ah di nah afterwards and had good fishing there as well. No expert here on the water on the mccloud but it was similar to all the other times i had fished there. I cannot wait to get back I say go for it if you have a few dyas...next time we wont drive the subaru impreza down to the nature conservancy tho..haha

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-02-2015, 07:30 AM
Call Bob Grace @ The Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir, California for info on the McCloud River, Upper Sac naturally and the upper Klamath River above Interstate 5.

http://www.tedfay.com/

** I like fishing that area in June and Oct/Nov.

StevenB
09-02-2015, 05:53 PM
All I have is second hand reports. I have been spending all my time on the Upper Sac since the Mac went off color.
Anyways those reports are that the McCloud is still off-color a bit more that usual. Visibility is 2-3 Feet near as I can tell.
Not much pressure (only two sites taken at Ah-Di-Na Yesterday). Wading is still a challenge but fish are being caught.
Pictures take on Saturday show the water is still like it was on the 08/17 report on Ted fay flyshop website.
So I would agree with Scaughell that the river is fishable, but would say it is not quite it's normal color.

GeoB
09-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Thanks to all for your replies. I took off Tuesday AM before seeing any of them. Have to say that the first mile or so downstream of Ash Camp was not so good. My van has been to Ah-Di-Na once, but I won't do that again to the poor thing! I'll save my driving for clearer water next time.

From the McCloud went down to Hat Creek and did much better. Highlight was sharing the water with a pelican. Not sure how he did.

g