PDA

View Full Version : Crappie

RichardJ
08-28-2015, 09:23 PM
Last few years I've caught crappie on a #8 blk hares ear.
A few weeks ago I caught a few very nice crappie on a popper, first time ever.
Anyone else catching crappies with a fly rod?

Darian
08-29-2015, 05:54 PM
I haven't actually targeted Crappie for many years. Still catch them incidentally while Bass or Striper fishing. They seem to hang out around every boat dock in the Delta. Some taken from clean water are fairly large and make great filets for the table. They're fun on a light fly rod, guess I should renew the effort....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-29-2015, 11:00 PM
I have been trying to find out how and where to catch more than one or two crappie in a day with flies.

I know that Clear Lake in Nor Cal in the spring has always been know for crappie.

I heard that before they put Stripers in New Hogan Reservoir they had nice crappie in there.

A friend of mine caught a very large crappie on a spinner in Sacramento Bypass between Sacramento and Woodland, California.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-29-2015, 11:00 PM
I have been trying to find out how and where to catch more than one or two crappie in a day with flies.

I know that Clear Lake in Nor Cal in the spring has always been know for crappie.

I heard that before they put Stripers in New Hogan Reservoir they had nice crappie in there.

A friend of mine caught a very large crappie on a spinner in Sacramento Bypass between Sacramento and Woodland, California.

Darian
08-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Bill,.... Like you, I've caught the odd Crappie on almost any small buggy looking wet fly. However, I found that I was able to target Crappie with a Boss style pattern with a marabou tail in the same bright colors as small jigs. In lakes, you have to locate a school (usually in deeper water). Around over-hanging cover or docks in the Delta, cast close as possible to the cover/dock and retrieve with a jigging action. If you catch one there's usually more right there. Keep moving until you find fish and fish 'til the action slows, then move to the next spot.

I gotta admit that it's tough to want to target Crappie when there're Stripers/Bass around, tho....

Dan Blanton
08-30-2015, 10:25 AM

Bill, I've caught a number of crappie in the delta using mostly nymphs while targeting redear. One of the best tactics I learned from my old friend, Ed Given, was to use an indicator (trout style) on a floating line. The indicator lets you keep the fly close to crappie-holding structure, keeping it in the strike zone longer. This technique is deadly. Tie flies on small jig hooks to look like small minnows with bead or other dumbbell eyes. Of course you can fish nymphs under the indicator too.

Mike McKenzie
08-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Bill, I've caught a number of crappie in the delta using mostly nymphs while targeting redear. One of the best tactics I learned from my old friend, Ed Given, was to use an indicator (trout style) on a floating line. The indicator lets you keep the fly close to crappie-holding structure, keeping it in the strike zone longer. This technique is deadly. Tie flies on small jig hooks to look like small minnows with bead or other dumbbell eyes. Of course you can fish nymphs under the indicator too.

Dan is right on the mark with using a WF floater with an indicator and preferably size 10-6 (TMC 3769) tungsten bead head flies. Black heads,white chenille body and white marabou tails have always worked best for me...
Back in the day before saltwater took over :mad: we used to get them up to 2lbs (or better sometimes) in the back-waters of Sherman Lake

Mike

njbeast
08-31-2015, 11:44 AM
East Park Reservoir off 505 Bill. Lots of small coves that can be fished on foot. Tons of crappie. never fly fished there but used to slay them with an ultra light Fenwick and 2lb test.