PDA

View Full Version : Delta help

Sheepdog8404
08-28-2015, 08:15 PM
I'm heading down to the delta, Walnut Grove area, tomorrow afternoon and will probably stay till night. We are fishing from a boat. I've never fly fished the delta before and I'm looking for some advice on what to look for what to throw and how to fish it. I'll be taking my 7wt with me and have a type 4 shooting system for it, as well as a steelhead line. I know that's pretty limiting but I'm hoping to make it work! Thanks in advance.

Tight lines,
Gary

Darian
08-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Try getting back into Snodgrass or any connected slough and try for some Smallmouth. Look for moving water and try a sinking line with Crawdad patterns against rock walls.

Good luck!!!

Sheepdog8404
08-30-2015, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the help Darian! We only caught a few fish last night on spinning gear. I didn't even pll my fly rod out since we had 4 people in the boat. Too crowded for my liking. I', going to try to get down there again this week and see if I can't find an area like you described. We went up into Snodgrass right at sunset and there were fish rising to something all around us but we couldn't figure out what it was and what they were chasing. Hopefully next time we'll have some better luck!

Darian
08-30-2015, 10:07 PM
Hmmm,.... Might've been Sunnies rising.They're fun on small bugs (black Ant or Bee). For Smallies you could try small sized Dahlberg Divers (frog pattern), too. Snodgrass is tidally influenced. So, try to hit the top of the high falling to a low. That allows you to fish against the bank/cover early and on the outside of weed lines, later.

If you can, try to get into Delta Meadows. Connection from Snodgrass but I'm not that familiar with how to get in there. There's a bridge over the meadows and the water really looked productive. Lotsa water skiers on the weekends, tho....

Sheepdog8404
09-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Thanks Darian! We were actually fishing just south of the bridge over the meadows. Goin back on Saturday to try our luck!