PDA

View Full Version : October outlook for NorCal rivers?

Pupa
08-28-2015, 03:50 PM
Anyone have a crystal ball outlook for how the Pit/Lower Mccloud/Upper Sac might be shaping-up for early-mid October? I know the mccloud was blown for a while but maybe starting to clear? I'm hoping that some isonychia and Oct caddis might show this year but who knows with the drought and warm temps...

Troutsource
09-02-2015, 08:19 AM
I wonder if, with the water being shallower than usual, the water temps might drop faster than usual this fall.

cdevine
09-02-2015, 10:53 AM
I wonder if, with the water being shallower than usual, the water temps might drop faster than usual this fall.

That is a good call trout. I took a reading the other day on the big truckee and it was 58 degrees. We have a cold front coming in with temps in the 30's at night. I think water temps made it past the worse stages and we are over the heat of summer. Its all flows now. Trickle Trickle..... Keep fingers crossed.

Frank R. Pisciotta
09-02-2015, 11:43 AM
I took a reading the other day on the big truckee and it was 58 degrees. We have a cold front coming in with temps in the 30's at night. I think water temps made it past the worse stages and we are over the heat of summer. Its all flows now. Trickle Trickle.....

Here is the question that I ask relative to fishing the Truckee this fall:

It is legal, but is it ethical?

For sure temperatures are always a critical factor when fishing the Truckee River. But, water flows in the canyon section are currently flowing at 22% of the historical mean average. Personally, it is the lowest flows I've ever seen having fly-fished the river for many, many years. "Trickle Trickle" indeed. The trout are very exposed and vulnerable. I suggest we fly anglers seriously consider giving the river's trout a break until we see what transpires during this upcoming winter.

Recently, I read a web-site/blog where a local guide says the consensus amongst the locals is to start fishing the river. Well, I can assure you; this specific guide doesn't speak for me and other full-time "locals" I know...

Frank R. Pisciotta

yFly10
09-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Agreed, let's see what winter brings first! Let's think about the fish! Give the T a break, she needs it! Just because there letting a little water out and water temps are cooler doesn't mean it's game on. The fish in the river need a break this year they have been stressed enough...

Rossflyguy
09-02-2015, 03:07 PM
I went to the upper sac in the wild trout section end of July and there were October caddis nymphs EVERYWHERE. I'm sure the dry fly action is going to be ridiculous.

cdevine
09-02-2015, 03:36 PM
I went to the upper sac in the wild trout section end of July and there were October caddis nymphs EVERYWHERE. I'm sure the dry fly action is going to be ridiculous.

The Truckee is a trickle. Frank, its sad. I drove by yesterday on way to Reno and only saw one guy fishing near Farad. I've seen very little pressure which is a great thing. I hope next year she's blown out until July from the record snow. I'm trying to be positive.

I'm heading 10k+ again this week. At least I'm shape now from all the hiking.

Dan LeCount
09-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Yea, the Truckee's a bit low for my taste, but the temps are good. Its borderline. 200CFS and I'd probably be fishing, but I dunno, now feels like the fish are still a bit cramped. I haven't fished her since May I think, I'm curious how the fish are doing. I think they're probably doing pretty well since no one's been fishing, possibly as good as most years which sounds crazy. I was going to scout her this week sans rod just to see how things are, but other stuff came up. I want to do a river walk in the canyon and really see how the pools look. I think the tribes going to call for water later in the fall, so she might still have some fishing in her later this year. Big thanks to the angling community that have been leaving the river alone this summer! If we have water next year, your efforts will bear fishy fruit.

Pupa
09-02-2015, 07:08 PM
rossflyguy: i remember seeing legions of o caddis cases on the upper sac years ago in july. Went back in the fall and nothing doing. in fact i have never witnessed much if any o caddis action in the fall despite having nymphs and dries in my flybox that i can measure in pounds. maybe it is a swift and intense hatch that you just need to time perfectly?

cdevine
09-02-2015, 08:35 PM
rossflyguy: i remember seeing legions of o caddis cases on the upper sac years ago in july. Went back in the fall and nothing doing. in fact i have never witnessed much if any o caddis action in the fall despite having nymphs and dries in my flybox that i can measure in pounds. maybe it is a swift and intense hatch that you just need to time perfectly?

Dan- Whats up! Hope all is well. Grey's was dumping cold water into BT at a better rate than I would have thought when I was walking the Canyon last week. Ice cold too. Def cramped fish though. 200CFS and I'm back. Was looking at outlook and suppose to get into upper 20's Thurs/Friday night. Lovin' it. Great work out on the LT BTW. Take it easy and say hi to matt for me. Chris

Morgan
09-02-2015, 08:46 PM

For sure temperatures are always a critical factor when fishing the Truckee River. But, water flows in the canyon section are currently flowing at 22% of the historical mean average. Personally, it is the lowest flows I've ever seen having fly-fished the river for many, many years. "Trickle Trickle" indeed. The trout are very exposed and vulnerable. I suggest we fly anglers seriously consider giving the river's trout a break until we see what transpires during this upcoming winter.

Recently, I read a web-site/blog where a local guide says the consensus amongst the locals is to start fishing the river. Well, I can assure you; this specific guide doesn't speak for me and other full-time "locals" I know...

Frank R. Pisciotta

I couldnt agree more Frank and Dan. The temps are finally getting good but is it ethical...? No. We need to let the fish beef back up and spread back out threw the river. We gotta think about the future and the overall health of the river.

We as guides need to teach these good ethics onto others as well as our clients. IMO its not ethical to be beating up the areas that are just now coming into "shape", temp wise. Flow and water wise the river needs some more umph! THink outside the box. Lakes are turning up now. You have to put in your time. But believe me....some nice fish can be found in our surrounding lakes.

Troutsource
09-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Best October Caddis I've seen in NorCal was on the NF Yuba in early October. Driving down 49 with the fat bodies thumping off the windshield. Fishing was like shooting fish in a barrel -- a hit on every cast.

Dave E.
09-03-2015, 10:00 AM

Frank R. Pisciotta

Very well stated Frank,
Thank you for that.

I’d like to add some of my own thoughts.

Before we go declaring the pursuit of the fish safe again, based solely on the intermittent use of a fifteen dollar stream thermometer. Has anyone here, who has proposed to start fishing the river again, bothered to take dissolved oxygen readings throughout the river. Especially in those slow flowing, deep pools where the fish tend to be ganged up in low water. There’s probably a good reason why respiratory therapy units don’t ask all the patients in the unit to share one oxygen bottle.
Water temperature alone is not the sole indices of life sustaining habitat.

If we don’t act with knowledge, we’re going to love the Truckee to death.
Dave Ecklund

cdevine
09-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Very well stated Frank,
Thank you for that.

I’d like to add some of my own thoughts.

Before we go declaring the pursuit of the fish safe again, based solely on the intermittent use of a fifteen dollar stream thermometer. Has anyone here, who has proposed to start fishing the river again, bothered to take dissolved oxygen readings throughout the river. Especially in those slow flowing, deep pools where the fish tend to be ganged up in low water. There’s probably a good reason why respiratory therapy units don’t ask all the patients in the unit to share one oxygen bottle.
Water temperature alone is not the sole indices of life sustaining habitat.

If we don’t act with knowledge, we’re going to love the Truckee to death.
Dave Ecklund

Lets not kid ourselves. Use common sense. Two leading indicators generally equate to higher oxygen levels. Running water and cold water. We have one. We need another. THis isn't a chemistry course. My fishpond thermometer was more like $20 bucks.

mattv-mcfly
09-03-2015, 05:07 PM
The Truckee is open year around right?
I'm sure we can all find other places to fish until it starts running again. Its a bummer it can't come soon enough though, especially for the fish.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-03-2015, 09:40 PM
Old friend Charlie Fullerton was head of the CA DF&G some years ago.

He said around September 1st, every year, we would have some cooling in the high country in California.

October should be good in streams with water.

Rossflyguy
09-03-2015, 10:10 PM

If it's one big hatch that would be something to see with the amount of October caddis that I seen all over the river bed. It'd be a huge feeding frenzy. Definitely something the locals wouldn't share.

Pupa
09-07-2015, 02:03 PM
according to ted fay shop, the upper sac trout don't readily key-in on the adult october caddis as they spend relatively little time on the water surface, fluttering around to lay eggs. also, the water clarity makes fooling the fish more challenging with large stimmies. on the mccloud the action is apparently a little better with dries due to reduced water clarity. i have also had very little luck with o caddis nymphs despite the large quantities of naturals in the water.

on another note, its sounds like the isonychia's may have been flushed-out of the pit system due to high flows. i would be curious to know if anyone has had any recent experience with this on the pit. i remember having good success with isonychia's prior to the new flow regimes.

Troutstalker55B
09-07-2015, 03:40 PM
according to ted fay shop, the upper sac trout don't readily key-in on the adult october caddis as they spend relatively little time on the water surface, fluttering around to lay eggs. also, the water clarity makes fooling the fish more challenging with large stimmies. on the mccloud the action is apparently a little better with dries due to reduced water clarity. i have also had very little luck with o caddis nymphs despite the large quantities of naturals in the water.

on another note, its sounds like the isonychia's may have been flushed-out of the pit system due to high flows. i would be curious to know if anyone has had any recent experience with this on the pit. i remember having good success with isonychia's prior to the new flow regimes.

The McCloud is the best in the state for the October Caddis hatch, I use to go for a week every October until my business skyrocketed. The OC actually do spend some time on the water, especially on days with a light snowfall. This may help some of you understand the big bug a little more; http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/2009/10/fishing-october-caddis.html

As for the Isonychia mayfly, the artificial white water flows on the North Fork Feather totally wiped them out, there are very few left, and not in the numbers like in the past. Fishing the nymph, or the spinner is the only way to go. The dun is rarely on the water except for very windy days wen they get blown off the rocks, and into the water.