PDA

View Full Version : American River Flows

Salmonriver
08-25-2015, 08:10 AM
This summer the flows on the AR were 4,500 cfs. I do not understand why they were so high and can not understand what purpose it served. I was told once that it was used to keep the salt out of the delta for irrigation. That makes no sense to me since the water flows are decreased and the salt should now be coming in if that were the case. So now the flows are down to 1,800 cfs and the salmon run is upon us as well as the steelies that should be following the run. I have no idea why this would happen and need some help understanding the truth to the high dangerous water flows in the summer.

Terry Thomas
08-25-2015, 08:24 AM
Good question. From my understanding, the increased American flows were to off set lower flows on the Sac. The Sac flows will be ramping up soon to protect the salmon run in the Sac. Hopefully we will see flows maintained on the American, whatever that is, so that the salmon that spawn early don't find their redds high and dry later on. We shall see.

Darian
08-25-2015, 09:32 AM
I can accept that increased releases will push back salt water but don't understand why it was necessary to install temporary rock dam(s) in Delta sloughs to accomplish the same thing at a mere cost of $23 million to the CA taxpayer (for installation/removal). Were those temporary dams effective or not???

Jgoding
09-22-2015, 03:51 PM
They wanted to hold water in Shasta so Folsom was flowing to make up for it.